Update on my neice

iVillage Member
Update on my neice
Wed, 01-14-2009 - 12:05am

My neices ex, her dd's dad called the authorities and had my neices house watched and they went through her trash for a few months. They did find paraphenalia, and her new H was arrested but released on his own recognisis. Anyway, for a short time, my neice could not see her dd, but she was able to get documentation from the drug rehab her H is in, and it said he had been clean for so many weeks or whatever. So, she has access to see her dd again on her visitation days.

I am going to let go of all this because I am not activly in my neice's life anymore. I can't control what she does and I have no real influence. I don't have to be around her, and that is a healthy choice for me. I can see my little neice's dad is going to be on top of all this, so I don't need to be involved. I have enough to deal with in my life. I don't need to add anymore problems to my list. Addicts will only quit drugs/alcohol when THEY are ready and not a second before; therefore, I need to let go.

I am still heading in the direction of becoming a drug and alcohol counselor. I am taking off this semester from school, but I will return in the summer, or fall, and begin my addiction counseling classes.

Thanks for everyone's support. I have been through so many family members being addicts. You would think what happened with my neice would have been just another day in my family, but it shocked me a little because I thought she had herself on a better raod. I should have known when she married this guy in April, that her life would go down hill. I think I did, but I didn't think it would happen this fast.

I have seen several of my family members become recovering addicts, which proves it can be done. I need to remember this as I am going through school. knowing I can possibly help at least one or two people in their journey with recovery. Knowing that people can get clean, if they want, will help me feel my studies, and career choice will not be for nothing.

Thanks again to everyone for your kindness and support.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

~ Tina ~

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-14-2009 - 5:32am
You are always welcome here Tina. I am glad that your grand-niece's dad is on top of things.

Beth