i think its a problem_he doesn't

iVillage Member
i think its a problem_he doesn't
Fri, 01-16-2009 - 12:25pm

Hello,

I am new to these boards and looking for some support.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-16-2009 - 8:30pm

Welcome to the board.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-16-2009 - 11:37pm
Hi and welcome to the board.
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-17-2009 - 9:50am

Welcome to the board.

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-20-2009 - 4:43pm

Hope! -

Welcome to the board.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-23-2009 - 6:59pm

I have been surrounded by alcoholics my whole life...my dad in particular fits your description. He drinks alone in front of the tv every night...he functions incredibly well (good job, even a successful marathoner for goodness sake!) He, thankfully, since a horrible drunk driving accident, is no longer bar hopping every night. He is defensive and refuses to discuss it -- and thinks it's no problem at all, despite what has happened. He will over-do it shamelessly -- no matter who is visiting us/what function we are at.... and he is turning out to be just like his own dad, who is a verbally abusive alcoholic.

As hard as it is, I have to sit back and let him hit rock bottom. If I try to cover for him or help him, he has no chance of reaching the point where he himself will realize the effects of his drinking. Nothing we can say can really drive the point home-- he has a disease.

The love of my life (also an alcoholic) hit rock bottom last year-- and agreed for the first time (though reluctantly) to attend AA. He didn't believe he was an alcoholic until he heard others at the meetings speak and identified with what they were saying.

There is hope. Especially for you -- especially inside the rooms of Al-Anon. Living with an alcoholic is being surrounded by insanity -- and I can't tell you how wonderfully Al-Anon has freed me from that.

My thoughts are with you :) keep comin back