Rehab to halfway house in 2 weeks?

iVillage Member
Rehab to halfway house in 2 weeks?
Wed, 04-15-2009 - 8:25pm
Hi. There is a guy I've been talking to for a while now, just getting to know each other. Well he admitted himself to an inpatient rehab, telling me he would be there for 6 months. After 2 weeks he took himself out and now says he's at a halfway house. He says he couldn't deal with the rules, and not being able to work, and not being able to use his cell. He says he is going to stay clean, but I'm worried. I think he'll have
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-15-2009 - 8:47pm

Hello and welcome. I am Beth, alcoholic. I did not go to rehab, nor did I go to a halfway house. I went to AA. I am still a member of AA. Having said that, there are a lot of red flags in your post.

After 2 weeks he took himself out

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-16-2009 - 9:19am

Hi there and welcome.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-16-2009 - 1:08pm

I agree with what others have already posted.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-16-2009 - 1:27pm
Thanks for the advice. I agree with it not being a good idea to leave the rehab. I know he has his reasons (excuses), but I also know some that have gotten clean from drugs without a rehab. I think if he wants it in his heart, he can do it. However, I also know that the beginning stages of recovery are a vulnerable time for addicts, and that's what worries me. I have told him this, and he assures me he can resist if he gets around his old friends. This isn't his first time going through rehab. I guess time will only tell if he can (or wants) to do it. He says he does, and I believe he does, I just know that temptation can be a bad thing. He says the other guys at the rehab are a good support for him, and he likes the meetings, and he is reading the big AA book. So far it seems he wants this, for himself. I also didn't know if I should come out and tell him he has to be sober to be with me, or keep my mouth shut and see how it goes. It will be about a year from now before we could really start a relationship. We are about 5 hours away from each other right now, and I'm busy as well. Right now we are just talking on the phone and computer, (no I didn't meet him online). Thanks again.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-28-2009 - 5:08pm
Well here's an update. My friend is still sober. He is at the 3/4 house, and is working hard on turning his life around. He is very frustrated with trying to get work, but it's ok. His bills are low right now anyway. I hope he continues to stay strong! He's been clean for 30 days now.