Maybe our best bet is education...

iVillage Member
Maybe our best bet is education...
Wed, 05-13-2009 - 12:44pm

My sister is an addict... pain pills, xanax, meth... you name it - she does it. I think the pills are her biggest problem. It's been a little over 10 years that this all started. We've been through it all. We've been through stuff that nobody would ever believe if they hadn't dealt with addiction themselves. I won't go on and on about all of that because I'm sure that most people here know already. There was a time that I expected the phone to ring any day saying that she was in the ER or in jail. And then I accepted the fact that those calls would be a blessing but that I was more likely going to get one saying that she was dead.

She was sober for 8 months. That all changed a couple of months ago and I feel like we're back to where we started. Only now there's another child involved. She had a baby and also has a 10 year old. I know that the last thing I need to do is give up on her but I can't help feeling that way.

I live in a very rural area in the Appalachian Mountains. Our county filed the first lawsuit against Purdue - the makers of Oxycontin. I know that every area has their drug problems but it seems like as a percentage, this area is worse. The people that I grew up with that stuck around here - mostly addicts. Nurses, teachers, lawyers, miners, farmers - addicts. We have a few people here that have really tried to turn that around but I believe they're getting discouraged and ready to throw in the towel.

I keep thinking that there has to be an answer here. I feel so discouraged and useless. So I started thinking that maybe we should focus on educating kids. I feel like sitting my kids and nephews down and saying, "Guys, I'm sorry but my generation has screwed up majorly. My hope is just that you guys will do better."

I'm not talking about DARE. I'm not talking about Just Say No. I'm not talking about sugarcoating anything. I want my kids to see it for what it is. I want them to see the pretty high school cheerleader and then see what she looks like after 2 years on meth. I want them to see what it looks like to watch somebody go through withdrawals. I want them to see young people strung out and homeless. I want them to know that it can happen to them. I want them to be scared and sure that they never want any part of that. And above all I don't want drug addiction to be glorified.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-13-2009 - 9:31pm

Have you ever watched the show "intervention"?

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-14-2009 - 2:27am

I'm another one that lost my younger sister after about 10 years of drug addiction.

My youngest is following right in her footsteps.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-14-2009 - 12:12pm

My mom and I shared custody of my older nephew from the time he was 5 until last year. We knew that the courts would give him back to her eventually so our

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-14-2009 - 12:13pm
I've watched it and I have thought about that. Do you know when it comes on?
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-14-2009 - 12:47pm

The little one on the other hand is a year old. She drives around high with him in the car. She's wrecked more times than I can count. He's been to the ER a bunch from accidents. Not because she abuses him directly. She doesn't pay attention and he keeps getting hurt. This is such a small community - everybody knows everybody. I've been in to talk to the sheriff, social services and some investigators. There's not a whole lot they can do. They can do home studies but if she knows that they're coming, what's the point. And she can put on a heck of an act... she a great actress.

You do what I did.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-14-2009 - 8:24pm
I'm not sure as I don't watch it regularly but when I have I found it very moving.

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-16-2009 - 8:01am

]

This in of itself is unacceptable.