Time for honest dialogue?

iVillage Member
Time for honest dialogue?
Thu, 06-29-2006 - 10:50am
Dear friends, regulars, lurkers, newcomers - all. What is going on with this board? I have been coming here for 4 years and have never seen it so slow. I know that people have many things going on in their lives - I know there are times when I can't be here as often as I would like... it's summertime and people are on vacations, etc.
Are there reasons that some of you are not posting? Please speak up - let's have some open dialogue here!
I think it's time, in my humble opinion, to get some action going. Please speak up! If you need to vent, this is the place! If you have been busy with life, let us know how you are! If you are not posting here for a reason, tell us!
Hope to hear from you,
Leslie

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-29-2006 - 12:38pm

Hi Leslie,

I just happened to log on the boards, and read your post.

I am almost never on the computer at night, or when not working. I spend 99% of my day, sitting at a desk, working on a computer. I just have to take a break in the evenings.

I am truly living and enjoying my sober life!

That being said..I also don't feel the dialouge flows here as it once did. It seems to be that we have alot of lurkers, or folks that just post once or twice. Also, Leslie,
the dialouge itself has changed, and I have wondered if that has slowed down the activity here. Some the dialouge, I have just not been able to actively participate in. It doesn't address the issues in the same way that I was blesed enough to have answered years ago. We also seem to have folks post once, or twice that seek help, and then,
don't return.

Like Carol, I do frequent another recovery site. This site is very active, and when I do need to "check out" something on how I might be feeling or processing, there is always something there.

Its sad Leslie, this site truly helped lead me down a sober path. It was just a different atmosphere and community at that time.

I can only speak for myself Leslie. I LOVE this board, and you, Karen, Deb, Carol, Paul, Joelene and Brenda helped me more then words can ever say. For whatever reason though, the time they seem to be a changing here.

Peace,
Rose

Community Leader
Thu, 06-29-2006 - 4:42pm

Hey Jolene and Brenda and all

Just sharing some ESH. When I first started on one of the boards I now co-cl, it was small, but active...wow was it active. Then it became soooooo slow. My co-cl and I were talking to ourselves, and sometimes each other. We looked at the lurker numbers, though, and they were out of this world. So...we started games, some topic based, some not. We promoed and did the question of the week exchange. It is still a fairly small group, but we post 200+ a week.

So be patient....all will be well

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-29-2006 - 6:59pm
Hi Rose, I have missed you more than I could say. I am so glad that you are staying happy and sober - that is what is the most important. Perhaps you could email me the other site that you use... I would love to check it out. Others, like you, mean the world to me, but lately I have felt so alone here. I used to feel that I was reaching out and doing some good for others - now I don't feel as if I am helpful at all... Helping others is so important to my sobriety.
Thanks for being honest - I am so glad you posted.
(((Rose)))
God bless,
Leslie
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-29-2006 - 7:01pm
Thank you for sharing. We used to do those kinds of things but not so much anymore. Maybe that will change...
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-29-2006 - 8:14pm

WooooooooHooooooooooooooooooooo.........The desire is still here so a solution is in sight.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-30-2006 - 1:09pm

HI Everyone,

I do the best I can. I usually pop in everyday. Most of the time I answer every newcomer. If anyone has any suggestions to me about what more I can do, please ask. I will try them out.

Service in recovery,

Paul

Castaway

A Friend in Recovery

Paul

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-04-2006 - 11:13am

I'm here!! I have to say that I am very limited with time lately, and that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! Like Rose, I spend all day on the pute at work and 3 night of the week are soccer. Hhhhmmm, then I work 25 hours in all that too. WHEWWWW! Ah vacations are great!!! We have had 3 parties in the last 4 days too! On to another today!

Thanks Leslie for waking us up! LOVE to you and family!!!

palmtrees and breezes

~Jolene~

"Community Leader for Alcohol Problems Board"

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-04-2006 - 1:43pm

I would love to post here more often but it seems I am watched and complained about when I get too honest. Especially when I talk about moderation. Seems there are a few on this board who cannot handle honest discussion about drinking in moderation.

Oh well.

Lucky

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-05-2006 - 2:16pm
I'm still here. I dont usually feel that I can add much from where I am at.
I feel like when I have talked about my drinking here, that I havent been bashed, but it is not easy to do so KNOWING that most people are in recovery and not in the same place I am.
I started coming here to explore my issues with alcohol. That is a different place from someone committed to stopping NOW, and from someone whos been sober a lot of years.
I've learned a lot. But sometimes I wish there were a board that is those still drinking openly. I think it would benefit a lot of people.
I appreciate the kindness that those here have shown to me.
chaos

Chaoslover

Sometimes you fake it, till you can make it.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-06-2006 - 6:00am
Dear Lucky, This is so hard to put into words but I will try. I do not have anything against your choice to moderate and I am truly glad that it works for you. Really. If you notice, I try to stay out of moderation threads because I can't offer anything constructive to day. It's just that it is hard for us alcoholics - I should speak for myself - to consider that possibility. To begin, I have a disease that "tells" me it is okay for me to have "just one". Not all the time, or even very often, but once in a while, that little voice within will tell me I am "not really an alcoholic" or "just one - who will know?" Over the years, I have lost so many good friends who gave in to that little voice. So, it is a passionate feeling I have - to safeguard myself and wanting to safeguard others from dying of alcoholism. The idea of moderation is truly frightening to this alcoholic... I don't want to die from this disease and I will should I pick up again.
It isn't you, the person, Lucky. It isn't that at all. I wish you well on your moderation plan and pray that it continues to work well for you. As our Paul would say, "Be safe".
Leslie

Pages