Not fun, kinda chatter

iVillage Member
Not fun, kinda chatter
Thu, 02-01-2007 - 2:00pm

It has been a tough week. DH's Grandma went into the hospital last week. She died this morning. As she was 88, it was not completely unexpected, but she was, up until last week, taking care of herself and her 2 adult disabled children.

What made it hard was trying to help my MIL (the health care proxy) cope. FIL is no help...he has...uh....issues. It is also hard because Grandma is only, was only, 6 years older than my dad. Today, I went to the ICU to give MIL and DH moral support. It was so darn difficult, because I spent so much time in ICUs with Geri (my sister, for those new to the board). I am sober enough to know that today was not about me, but human enough to know that I still am healing over being my sister's proxy and giving the request to terminate the ventilator.

Ah...this too shall pass.

Beth
Proud to be co-cl for

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-01-2007 - 3:56pm
((((Beth))))
I am so sorry for your loss... I know how difficult these times can be. I hope it comforts you to know that there are many who care...especially your Higher Power.
God bless you and your family...
How can I help?
Leslie
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-01-2007 - 4:03pm

Thanks Leslie

It is just so darned hard. Too many losses. Since DH and I were married (14 years ago) we lost his Grandpa, 3 of my uncles, my 2 grandmas, his other grandma, my mom and my sister.

It will be okay. I just need to get through telling my eldest that her great Grandma died. She took the loss of my mom and sister so hard.

Of course, then we need to get through having DH's niece and nephew stay here for the funeral. They are a tad...different.

Beth
Proud to be co-cl for

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-01-2007 - 11:33pm
((((((Beth))))))))
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-02-2007 - 5:37am

Thanks Brenda

The hardest part, for me, is over. It was too familiar, the scene at the hospital, the sights, sounds and smells. I had a very difficult time staying in the day, and not slipping back into the days when it was Geri.

We told BRE, and she is okay, although sad. When I told Magpie that Grandma-at-the-farm had gone to heaven and that we would not see her, she cried. DH, returned to work after his Grandma died, and found out that one of his co-workers MIL died, so we need to do those calling hours also. UGH.

BIL devised a plan whereby the other BIL and wife would stay at their place, and the teenagers would stay here. So I have cleaning to do. I also need to get another bed. I may see if someone has an inflatable, We don't know these kids well. They are a little socially inept, and their religious beliefs are a tad different from ours. It will make for an interesting weekend.

Prayers work best.

Beth
Proud to be co-cl for

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-02-2007 - 10:57am
You got all my prayers Beth.