Sick, tired and in pain

iVillage Member
Sick, tired and in pain
Sat, 07-14-2007 - 4:40pm

I have shingles. They hurt. The outbreak is at the bottom of my back, or top of my tushie. I am on an antiviral. I can't sleep.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-14-2007 - 5:02pm
Oh Beth....I am sooo sorry.
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-14-2007 - 9:22pm
Oh Beth, I am so very sorry this has happened to you. I hope you were able to get to the doctor in the early stages as I know the anti-viral is more effective that way. My mother, father, and brother have all had them, so I have an idea of what you are going through.
This is one of those times when you will need to rely on God so much... one day, one hour, one minute at a time...
My thoughts and prayers are with you,(((((((Beth)))))))
Leslie
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-15-2007 - 7:55am

Hi friends!

Thanks for the prompt replies, the hugs were so nice and gentle.

The shingles are more than a little painful and awkwardly placed. The nerves around the area are also inflamed, although the antiviral should stop them from developing the rash. (No, Leslie, I didn't go early enough, I am a bit pigheaded) I can use cortizone cream for the rash and tylenol for the pain (the antiviral can cause liver and kidney problems, so I have to not use ibuprofen).

I tend to get a little, uh, well, let's just say I don't act as grown up as I should. I get very defensive and say silly things like, I can do it myself. Much like my 3 year old. Of course, I need help and should ask my beloved husband. Or at least accept when he offers. So that is what I will work on today.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-15-2007 - 11:50am

Owchie! Oh man, shingles way suck. My dad had them and he was very sick. I knew one other person with them and it was the first time I ever saw a grown man cry.

Get well soon. Will you go on narcotics if necessary? Hopefully it won't get that bad for you.

Lucky

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-15-2007 - 2:31pm

Thanks Lucky

I will do what I have to do. Today, there is pain, but 50% ignorable, which wasn't the case yesterday. I really don't want to use narcotics, I didn't even use them when I had my c-section. I react, uh, badly.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow me to my partners in the siggie exchange

follow me to my favorite places on ivillage

Alcohol Problems Board

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-15-2007 - 6:10pm

Good. So maybe you won't get the nerve damage like my dad did. There are meds they can give you for the intense after-shingles pain, but I believe most of them are narcotics.

Glad to hear you are improving.

Lucky

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-15-2007 - 9:42pm
Beth, I have noticed that whenever I get sick, some of my old behavior comes back so I understand what you meant... I think it is because I feel vulnerable and want someone to take care of me - or to know instinctively what I need, and at the same time I don't want to ask for help! One of the things that you have going for you with shingles is that you are still young - I think your recovery will be quicker. When my brother had them, he did much better than my parents.
I will send positive and healing thoughts and prayers your way.
Hang in there girl - and remember to ask for help and allow others to help you. After all, you would offer that for a family member or friend, wouldn't you?
God bless,
Leslie
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-16-2007 - 4:31pm

Oh Beth,

I am so sorry to hear you have shingles. I have never had them myself, but,
my grandmother and mother in law suffered from them. I know first hand how awful
they are to deal with.

Prayers and hugs to you, hope you feel better soon.

Peace,
Rose

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-16-2007 - 6:37pm

Thanks Rose

I am just tired. It seems like one thing after another. Ah well, this too shall pass

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow me to my partners in the siggie exchange

follow me to my favorite places on ivillage

Alcohol Problems Board