Good news! Lab test results!

iVillage Member
Good news! Lab test results!
Fri, 07-20-2007 - 11:15pm

Though I have known my BF for only a year, he tells me that he has been an alcoholic for about 20 years. He has failed at a couple of attempts at rehab. He is currently not drinking - because he turned himself in for being out of compliance on the rehab program mandated after he took a deferral of prosecution on a DUI from two years ago. And obviously, he can't drink in jail.

At any rate I've been concerned about how much damage he might have done to his body by the years of alcoholism. So I talked him into taking a group of liver function tests last week and he agreed. (I teased him that not every man will go along with it when the woman in his life asks for blood!) Anyway, he recently got the results and they are within normal range. Now, I know that doesn't mean that no damage at all has been done to the liver and that there are also other organs that could have been affected. But we thought that this group of tests would probably have the highest probability of showing up problems if major damage had been done. He will have to wait until he has insurance again before he has a complete physical and additional tests.

From what I've read, by the time the liver blood tests show a definite problem it may already be years too late. But I've also read that the liver has an ability to regenerate itself, so I'm hopeful that if he is able to stay off the alcohol, most of the damage that may have been done so far might be repaired.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-21-2007 - 7:30am
As soon as he has insurance please encourage him to have a liver panel done and have them check his hepititis panel
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-21-2007 - 10:03am
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I'll definitely suggest that when he gets the insurance. I'm sure he will be open to the suggestion, too, as his brother almost died of hepatitis. It wasn't until his brother reached that point several years ago that he got off drugs and alcohol. Hopefully, my BF will be a faster learner than that. And much as some others chastise me with "Codependent! Codependent!," I think my support and encouragement have increased my BF's chance of whipping the alcohol demon.