Back to school soon...

iVillage Member
Back to school soon...
Sat, 08-04-2007 - 8:16am
Hi guys. I have already been to my classroom a couple of times to start setting up and hoping to get more enthusiastic about going back to school.
I am hoping that if I bring my body to school, the mind will follow...
I have had such a wonderful summer that I don't want to go back to work! I had the joy and privilege of going to Hawaii for 2 weeks. I have been raising my puppy Jack, working in the garden, going to the beach, and puttering around the house. I have loved being a suburban housewife!
I need some help, maybe a kick in the butt, to get motivated again. Teaching (whine, whine) is such a demanding profession and after 18 years I wonder where the energy will come. To be honest, I am not sure I want to do this forever...
Pretty wierd for someone who just got her masters in education this summer, isn't it?
Help!
Leslie
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-12-2007 - 9:44pm
Well, school (for teachers) starts tomorrow morning... the kids start on the 20th. I have been praying for some inspiration and guidance to change my attitude!
I remembered something I heard early on in an AA meeting: "Bring the body and the mind will follow."
Wish me luck folks. I am really trying. With less classroom money than I had 10 years ago, more students in each class, and the emphasis on "raising test scores", I have to look at the positives, and remember to be grateful for my sober life today! And I am - grateful!
God bless,
Leslie
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-12-2007 - 10:44pm
I am grateful to know there are still teachers like you and Beth....who truly care about the leaders of our future.
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2007 - 6:29am
Thank you, Brenda, thank you...
If I let that stinkin' thinkin' creep in, I can totally forget why I went into the teaching profession in the first place. It isn't about test scores, not enough $, or large numbers in my classes - it is about the children.
I have a little daily calendar and today's thought was "It's not your position, but your disposition that makes you happy."
God was giving me a nudge this morning!
Thank you too.
Off to work now!
Leslie
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2007 - 8:47pm
Well, I made it through the first day back with the kids... this summer some teachers were cut and my classes sizes are substantially bigger. I was in tears when I came home after work, wondering how on earth I was going to teach language arts to 120 kids - some who barely read and write English. I finally asked God to help me, remembered my mantra "one day at a time", and called a colleague, just to talk and vent. I feel better now. Sometimes I forget that I can only do the best I can and that I don't have to do everything at once.
There was a lot of fear going on within me today... thanks for listening.
Leslie