QOTW,,, Why minimum age should be....

iVillage Member
QOTW,,, Why minimum age should be....
Sun, 08-12-2007 - 4:15pm

I saw a talk show this morning (Weekend Today) and one of the episodes was about the legal drinking age. So my question is:

Choose an age at which alcohol should be legal to buy and consume and explain why.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-12-2007 - 5:06pm

The news show talked about 18 and 21. I personally think that the drinking, voting, and military age in the US should be 25. That way there would be no college drinking, no college deferments and hopefully a wiser population to make decisions.

(Half fun and full earnest on this answer)

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-12-2007 - 7:35pm
Well I want to say 65 but obviously that is not realistic. My dh has been sober for 2 months now so that should explain that answer! I have to agree that 25 seems like a good age. People tend to be a little more mature at that age plus people of that age should have settled into jobs by then which I would think might help in terms of responsibility.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-12-2007 - 7:41pm

Pretty difficult question because there are so many shades of gray.

I do not think it is fair to ship an 18-year-old to Iraq or anywhere to fight a war for that matter, but the same person can't drink until age 21??

In SC children who are 15 and 1/2 can get a driver's license - scary isn't it?? Add alcohol to the mix and that is more than frightening - it's terrifying.

If the drinking age is 21, then kids still steal alcohol or get someone to buy it for them - if the age is 25, then it may cut down that problem...

We have parents in our town who serve alcohol to high school kids at home because they would rather let them drink at home then be out on the roads...

So... after all that... I think alcohol should not be legal until age 25 - same with sending children to fight wars - and voting.
My 2 cents!!
Leslie

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-12-2007 - 8:25pm
I agree w/you on that one Ms. Beth. I think it should be age 25. Being 18 - 21 IMO, is still too young and still learning.
5yrssm 
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-12-2007 - 8:39pm
This is one of my soapbox issues. I strongly believe the drinking age should be 18. I think it's unconscionable that 18 year olds can join the army, fight in Iraq, work as police officers, firefighters or any number of other dangerous occupations, vote, have sex legally, and assume all the other trappings of adulthood and adult responsibility -- but not have a drink at the end of the day.

I was in college when the drinking age was in the process of going up from 18 to 21 in my state, and during those few years I saw a marked difference in how well (or how poorly) incoming freshman had learned to handle alcohol and make responsible decisions. People my age had our first experiences with drinking while we were in high school, still living under our parents' roofs, had made a mistake or two, and were able to learn those lessons while we still had a safety net in our lives so that by the time we were living away from home at college we were able to make responsible decisions and responsible choices. The kids who came in just a few years later had largely not had any real drinking experience in high school and had no clue how to handle alcohol. They would go crazy their first few weeks on campus, attending as many parties as possible and getting stupid drunk -- because they were away from home, in a less supervised and monitored environment, and they could.

Oh, and many of those same kids who hadn't had any drinking experience in high school, could roll a joint blindfolded and with one hand tied behind their backs. Once access to legal drugs (alcohol) was taken away from them, they saw no real motivation for not choosing illegal drugs (which were often more readily available -- from the so-called 'cool kid' at school, as opposed to having to purchase alcohol from a retail extablishment) instead.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-12-2007 - 9:42pm

I'm inclined to say it should be 18.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-12-2007 - 10:55pm

I have to agree with the 25 age.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2007 - 3:30pm

• Choose an age at which alcohol should be legal to buy and consume and explain why.

Totally impossible, but 25 would be my ideal age.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2007 - 3:33pm

100!!! But then a lot of people would learn to make moonshine ;) As I skimmed over other posts I agree that it is ridiculous that one can

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2007 - 5:36pm

Over 18... at a minimum!

If you aren't old enough to be mature enough to vote, you aren't mature enough to drink. Sometimes, I think one isn't mature enough to DRIVE even!

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and "Remodel & Renovate" and CL for "Antiques and Collectibles"

Visit me at That Yank In...
and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs:"Neighborhood" RR, "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of San Man snow charts, "Millenium Sampler", 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the new DMC linen threads, and a Kooler Design Studio chart called "Needlework Shop"

CL for "

Pages