MRSA in my District...INFO FROM CDC

iVillage Member
MRSA in my District...INFO FROM CDC
Sat, 10-20-2007 - 7:40am

As you know MRSA has gotten a lot of press lately. The media is sensationalizing something that is serious but not at catastrophic as it has been made out to be. I already knew about MRSA, my sister had it- infectious and not- many times. It was not her cause of death. Neither I, nor my husband or daughters caught it from Geri because we practiced good hygeine (Something I know I didn't do drinking). ANYWAY... the following information is straight from CDC:

What type of infections does MRSA cause?

• In the community most MRSA infections are skin infections that may appear as pustules or boils which often are red, swollen, painful, or have pus or other drainage. These skin infections commonly occur at sites of visible skin trauma, such as cuts and abrasions, and areas of the body covered by hair (e.g., back of neck, groin, buttock, armpit, beard area of men).

• Almost all MRSA skin infections can be effectively treated by drainage of pus with or without antibiotics. More serious infections, such as pneumonia, bloodstream infections, or bone infections, are very rare in healthy people who get MRSA skin infections.

How is MRSA transmitted?

• MRSA is usually transmitted by direct skin-to-skin contact or contact with shared items or surfaces that have come into contact with someone else's infection (e.g., towels, used bandages).

In what settings do MRSA skin infections occur?

• MRSA skin infections can occur anywhere.

• Some settings have factors that make it easier for MRSA to be transmitted.

• These factors, referred to as the 5 C's, are as follows: Crowding, frequent skin-to-skin Contact, Compromised skin (i.e., cuts or abrasions), contaminated items and surfaces, and lack of Cleanliness.

• Locations where the 5 C's are common include schools, dormitories, military barracks, households, correctional facilities, and daycare centers.

How do I protect myself from getting MRSA?

• You can protect yourself by:

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-20-2007 - 8:20pm

Thanks for posting some excellent information.