Beth... How is school...

iVillage Member
Beth... How is school...
Mon, 12-03-2007 - 8:16pm
going for you?
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-12-2007 - 6:01am

Oh Leslie

Yesterday was just so very tough. One of our students informed us that another had cuts on her wrist, and had said she tried to kill herself over the weekend. Last week we had a little boy, whose beloved grandpa just died, talk about dying. We noticed that another boy's sneakers were being held together with duct tape. We (our team) are already adopting 6 students for Christmas. Well, what the heck, add another! THEN (yeah, it gets nuttier) one of my girls burst into tears in my arms. Her mom left the family the day before Thanksgiving. Now she is back, with her boyfriend next door, calling my little girl a "skank: and telling her she is only good to clean the house.

To top it all off, as I was in the Guidance office dealing with all that, I was chatting with a student who was new to the school. Cute young man, very polite. Come to find out we are getting him on our team (it seems to be the consensus in guidance to give us needy kids). When I was teasing him about why he left his old school, he calmly replied..." I would have stayed, but my father tried to kill me.) OH G-D!

THEN my ELA teacher, student teacher and I decided to put on "A Christmas Carol" for the 7th graders (there is a certain version they need to know). I was Scrooge.

After school I went with 47 dollars, over half donated by students, to buy cans for our can drive. (One of the students does the shopping and cooking for the family because his mom just had surgery for a brain anuryesm. - he donated 7 dollars over the last week...and they don' have money for a Christmas tree.) UGH!

So I came home and hugged my girls, and really hugged my DH.

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-12-2007 - 5:55pm

((((Beth)))) I could so totally understand because the stories I hear and the children I see are so similar to yours.