Marijuana Bad for the Gums

iVillage Member
Marijuana Bad for the Gums
Wed, 02-06-2008 - 10:24am
Pot smokers face many of the same health consequences that tobacco users do, such as an increased risk of heart disease, but until now, it wasn't known that marijuana use could also destroy gum tissue.

In the Feb. 6 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association, researchers reported that heavy marijuana users have as much as three times the risk of developing serious gum disease compared to those who haven't smoked pot.

"We found in our study that long-term heavy smokers had a greater risk of gum disease by the time they reach their early 30s," said study lead author W. Murray Thomson, a professor of dental epidemiology and public health at the Sir John Walsh Research Institute at the School of Dentistry in Dunedin, New Zealand.

Learn more!

http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/marijuana-bad-gums.html

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-06-2008 - 3:22pm

For some reason, this made me smile.

It does make sense, since the smoke itself would damage the tissue.

Follow me to my favorite boards!

Alcohol Problems Board

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-06-2008 - 3:32pm
Why do you think it made you smile?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-10-2008 - 5:30pm

It seemed obvious to me that inhaling something that is being burned through your mouth can't be good for the teeth, gums, tongue, mouth, throat and lungs.

I think that sometimes things we need to 'prove' are common sense if we stop to think. THat is why I smiled.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-11-2008 - 9:48am
Gotcha

Photobucket