Odd thing for a drunk to ask prayers for

iVillage Member
Odd thing for a drunk to ask prayers for
Thu, 05-29-2008 - 8:07pm

But please pray for the owners and employees of a brewery in my old home town.

The second oldest continuously run brewery in the United States, The FX Matt Brewery also makes a rootbeer called Saranac and other nonalcoholic drinks, as well as beers and ales.

This family run, locally employing brewery caught fire about 5 pm tonight. Smoke continues to pour out and it is far from contained.

People

Community Leader
Thu, 06-26-2008 - 2:32pm
Beth, I just got to read this post.
Alcohol, Addictions & Recovery. It's a long way down, but only 12 steps UP
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-26-2008 - 2:47pm

Thanks Brenda

The professional firefighters were assisted by 7 volunteer companies. It took over 28 hours, but all of the flames were put out. The cause was spot welding, and the only building lost was the cannery. The 1888 brewery building was saved and undamaged by smoke or fire. The company threw a HUGE barbeque for all the firefighters and their families two weeks later. The owners and family cooked and the employees served.

The best part is that no one was injured.

The business has not laid anyone off and is operating at a low capacity, finding other small breweries to can and bottle for them.

The community bought out all of the soda and beer produced by the company in a tri county area in 2 days, to show their support.

By the way, if you ever get up to the Central NY area, the 1888 RootBeer is great.

Community Leader
Thu, 06-26-2008 - 5:39pm

Hmmmmmm......well, since I am kinda stuck here....I KNOW that some things can be shipped....heeheehee.

Ain't Life Grand!!

Brenda

"Happiness is an inside job, you can join my happiness but you can't be my happiness."
Alcohol, Addictions & Recovery. It's a long way down, but only 12 steps UP