In phase 3, eating all the time

iVillage Member
In phase 3, eating all the time
Fri, 08-22-2003 - 11:52am
I use the SBD mainly to maintain my current weight loss of 95 pounds. I eat lots of nuts, veggies, avocados, olives, olive oil, whole grain bread, whole grain pasta, brown rice, legumes, etc. I have an occasional steak, chicken breast, pork tenderloin or nice piece of fish. I'm never hungry. Unless maybe I have gone shopping for wonderful new clothes and just been so excited I've forgotten to eat.

The last 10 pounds was the hardest to lose and I thought I'd be "dieting" the rest of my life. Now if the scales show I'm up, I just do a phase 1 day. I try to have at least one phase 1 meal a day.

I started losing weight 3+ years ago at 237 pounds and size 22. Now I'm 142 and have a 27.5" waistline.

I basically came up with my own version of the SBD by just reading a lot about diets, nutrition, in books and magazines. I believe the glycemic index is a very good way to choose the right carbs. No more white bread, or other junk made with white flour.

Will be glad to start seeing others posting here under phase 3.

Irene

P.S. I'd like to lose another 10 pounds or so by next summer. Wouldn't mind getting to 132 and a 26 inch waist.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-22-2003 - 7:53pm
Hi Irene,

I'm on my last 10-15 pounds and it does feel like I'll be dieting forever. I am really happy with the SBD, doesn't feel like a "diet", it feels so right. I know it will take me longer to see results, and that's fine. I don't miss my "bad" carbs at all! ok ok except martinis and beer. lol...

I exercise about 5 days a week, I walk, plus I take some weight training/kick boxing/step classes at the gym. I need to switch things up, any suggestions? My time is really limited and I usually get 1/2 to hour an evening.

Also, have you ever watched your calorie intake?

I am still in the mindset that if I go over the calories I naturally burn (1650) that I won't lose weight, what is your take on this?

You are a great success, I can tell you are really happy and proud of yourself. Thanks for sharing your story with us :)

Jamah

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-26-2003 - 6:33pm
I have done calorie counting when I was around 150 I used www.nutridiary.com to record everything I ate. I did fine at first but when I started going up I got frustrated and stopped counting calories.

I hate counting calories. It seemed if I stayed around 1400 I could lose a little. If I got close to 1600 I'd stay the same or gain. And I exercise a lot. I figure I just have a very slow metabolism.

I eat mostly phase 1 and 2 foods, but I can gain overnight if I cheat even just a little. You know, like a hambuger bun or something. Or too many nuts.

When I was over 200 pounds I could lose so much easier. But it takes more calories a day to maintain 200. It takes a lot less to maintain 140. You can burn more calories at 200 doing the exact same amount and intesity as you do at 140. It's not a win/win situation.

The only thing I can say is that at 140 pounds it is easier to increase my intensity on the treadmill. And I look much better in my exercise clothes now too.

I really find it amazing though that I can eat peanuts, walnuts, olive oil, olives, and even avocado and still basically maintain or as I put it, hover around 142 pounds.

I cut back on my good carbs two or three times a week in an effort to try to lose 5 more pounds. But it's not really necessary.

Irene

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-05-2003 - 11:58pm
I am so happy to see that you were able to lose the 95lbs.

I am starting the diet tomorrow and I need to lose 100lbs.

I am hoping this is the plan to work. I got a little worried before when I read something on another webpage that said the SBD is for women who want to lose 10-15lbs. I hope I am making the right choice of weight loss plan, I am not up to the disappointment.

Well, congratulations to you!!!

Jo
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-06-2003 - 12:38am

<< I got a little worried before when I read something on another webpage that said the SBD is for women who want to lose 10-15lbs. >>

Jo, definitely don't believe that! Although I started the diet with only a few pounds to lose, I chose this diet is about changing to a healthy way of eating (WOE), with weight loss as a (very) pleasant side effect.

Catherine

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-06-2003 - 12:15pm
thanks for the reassurance.

Jo
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-12-2003 - 9:24pm
Wow, you are my idol! Fantastic, what a wonderful motivator on how to live this woe. Thanks for sharing, heres to that little waist! Janet
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-06-2003 - 7:15pm

Irene, you are a super star in my book!

Susan :)