sample menu, phase 3?

iVillage Member
sample menu, phase 3?
Thu, 10-09-2003 - 8:07am
I would love to see a typical daily menu for phase 3 of SBD... thanks!
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-09-2003 - 2:38pm
If you have the book Dr.A says that Phase 3 is a plan that will help you maintain. Foods that you had on Phase 1 & 2 are applied.Its rather a healthy lifestyle rather than a weight loss plan.Theres no food list in Phase 3 you will have to decide for yourself what to eat as long as it doesn't cause a weight gain. You'll find out when you hit Phase 3. Hugs Maryann
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-02-2003 - 11:20am
Once I figured out (with Angstrom's help) that I am carb-sensitive, it was (kind of) easy to formulate an eating plan that my body responds to positively and doesn't require much thought. The first part and by far the most difficult was weaning myself off sugar. I stayed on phase one of the diet for 4 weeks before I felt comfortable enough to move on. I stopped eating--entirely--bread of any kind, pasta, corn, carrots, peas, anything containing white flour, fried foods,butter, mayonnaise (which I never liked anyway) and meat. Fortunately, I adore vegetables and now it's mostly what I eat.

I hate to cook. If it can't be made in one pot, then I'm not making it. I decided to get this to work for me with my food choices. The foods I eat are relatively few. I've got other things to do besides plan menus, so what I do ingest varies little from day to day. Every morning, without fail, I have a large bowl of old-fashioned oatmeal that I prepare in the microwave. I cool it off with unsweetened, frozen mixed berries from Costco (berries are very high in antioxidants)and vanilla soy milk, which is delicious and, atop oatmeal, is somewhat reminiscent of the evaporated milk I used to put on hot cereals in the days when I used salt, butter and sugar. I use none of these now. I have genetically high cholesterol and take medication for that as well as a prescription diuretic to control elevated blood pressure. I also take calcium tablets,fish oil (for omega-3s)a multi-vitamin with herbs and garlic, and CoQ10. I have stamina and energy in the morning which is necessary to deal with my high-stress job. I bring my lunch, every day, no exceptions. It, too, is in one container. I will have a 15-oz. can of black beans (I love the Cuban style which comes with a sauce, but it is high in sodium so I drain and rinse the beans first) to which I add 1 plum tomato or 1/2 or a regular tomato, 1/2 of a red, orange or yellow bell pepper, and either broccoli florets or fresh spinach, along with granulated garlic(good for the blood). It's a lot, but it's filling, extemely high in fiber, vitamins c and b, plus the antioxidents in the broccoli. Plus, it's pretty to look at. I love color! Sometimes I add mango salsa to this mix and/or some lemon juice and Tabasco.

On fish days, I have a 6 1/2 oz can of salmon or tuna on a bed of fresh spinach, with a couple of tablespoons of tabouli (a wonderful mediterranean concoction of parsley, cracked wheat, tomatoes and onions)a tablespoon of hummus (ground chickpeas, lemon and a bit of olive oil), 1/2 of a bell pepper, Tabasco and mango salsa. It's heavenly and healthy. A sliced apple or a pear or grapes finishes the meal. If I get hungry during the 3:30 stretch, I'll have some soy nuts and a cup of herbal tea. I do not consume soft drinks of any kind, even diet ones: I don't believe that the dyes and chemicals are good for one's system. I also drink lots of water--I make it a habit to drink 5-6 12-oz glasses a day. This is in addition to any water in the other foods I eat, plus any herbal tea I have during the day.

Dinner is sometimes a bowl of Go Lean or Good Friends Cereal with soy milk if I get home too late for a full meal. Otherwise, I'll have what the family is eating, minus potatoes, pasta, rice, or any other starchy veggie. I've eliminated meat for the most part, but I will have a broiled chicken breast or Boca Burger (soy-based) or a turkey burger and broccoli (I try to eat broccoli every day) or string beans or a salad. On spaghetti days, I have my sauce (made with ground turkey) atop a large portion of--yep, you guessed it--slightly steamed broccoli florets or barely-wilted spinach. My one sweet treat is a Healthy Choice fudgesicle bar for dessert.

I do not use a scale but have gone from a size 12 to a size 6. I think about exercising occasionally. I belong to a gym but find it boring. I have many books on yoga and plan to start one of these days.

Another unexpected benefit of eating this way has been the marked improvement I've noticed in my skin. I'm 51 and am probably in the latter stage of perimenopause, but due to my soy and isoflavones consumption, I've experienced no noticeable symptoms. I feel great and, other than exercising regularly (which I know I should be doing), this eating regimen (I've finally gotten it--you do this all the time, not just until you lose the weight) has worked very well for me. I'm workin' it in my beloved leather pants and skirts!

Thanks for wading through this--and good luck to you!

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-02-2003 - 10:33pm

Sounds like you have personalized this plan and made it really work for you!

winter 2010 siggy

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-06-2003 - 8:05pm

See I am at the point where I do usually eat phase 1 for breakfast, phase 2 or 3 for lunch and dinners.

Susan :)