Low Carb Peanut Butter Cookies

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-22-2003 - 9:22am
Saw this recipe over on the Prevention site for SBD. I've made these cookies before and they are yummy. Never thought about using them on SBD.

Divide the number of cookies by the number of carbs in the peanut butter to get a count per cookie.

1 cup peanut butter (I use crunchy)

1 cup Splenda sugar substitute

1 egg

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a cookie sheet w/ cooking spray.

Mix the peanut butter, Splenda, and egg all together. Roll dough into walnut-sized balls and place 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.(The original recipe says you get 20 half-dollar-sized cookies, but I usually get more like 12-14.)

Dip a fork in more Splenda and flatten the cookies crossways, like you do the usual peanut-butter cookie.

Bake 9-10 minutes.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-22-2003 - 9:36am
These sound yummy!! I'm going to try these!

cl-michelle81663

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-22-2003 - 10:34am
What the heck am I supposed to do with a "carb count"? I know nothing about counting carbs. And I don't intend to learn about counting them either.

Isn't counting carbs something you do on that stupid Atkin's diet?

Irene

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-22-2003 - 10:43am
I can't wait to try these. They sound wonderful. Thanks.
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2003 - 6:40pm
Irene,

There is no need to get unfriendly. The recipe was probably originally for low-carb dieters who do count carbs so the carb count per cookie would be important to them. Since SBD doesn't work that way, then you can just ignore it.

And it's not fair to criticize Atkins when you admit that you know nothing about carb counting (and I'll assume that means you do not know about the concept behind low-carb diets) which is perfectly fine but not fair to those who have had a lot of success with them.

What if someone posted on a Weight Watcher's board about "that stupid South Beach Diet"???

Tam

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 10:10am
Your cookies sound wonderful. But, I am confused. What phase would they be for- phase 3?

If you used 1 cup of peanut butter for your cookies; that would equal 48 (teaspooons). According to the book the servings of peanut butter for phase one, we are allowed

1 teaspoon per day. I think the cookies would have to be very small to make 48 out of the recipe and you could only have one per day to stick to WOE. Please let me know if this is incorrect. mramary

NUTS

Almonds, 6 whole

Brazil, 2 medium

Cashews, 6 whole

Peanut butter, 1 tsp

Peanuts, 20 small

Pecans halves, 15

Pine Nuts (Pignolia), 2 tsp

Pistachios, 30

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 1:20pm
In my original post, I mentioned that I'd seen the recipe on the prevention.com SBD forum, so the recipe is not mine, I just share it. You make a good point. I suppose you could make very small cookies and eat them in any phase or save them until phase 3...your choice. :)

Cathy

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-31-2003 - 5:51pm
These do sound great. Keep in mind that too much Splenda can trigger an insulin response too so maybe these aren't the best for Phase 1 unless someone has the willpower to limit themselves to just one a day or so.

If nothing else, I'll make these for the kids and hopefully they will like them as a healthy replacement for other things.

Cindy

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-04-2003 - 6:36pm
Thanks for sharing this recipe. I can't wait to try them. I think I will make mine without the splenda and see how that taste. I like the taste of the Smucker's all natural peanut butter by itself. I will dip the fork in the splenda to flatten though.

Thanks again,

Dawn
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-06-2003 - 10:58am
HOLY MOLY are these yummy. I made them last night. I only used 1/4 of Splenda and they were FABULOUS!!!

Kara