Gees I was coming for some answers...

iVillage Member
Gees I was coming for some answers...
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 5:40pm
Did all the troops jump ship? I have posted on the breast cancer support board since 1999 and just last week my PCP sent me to a cardiologist for him to check me out. I saw the Dr last Thursday and he did a physical check and said all sounded fine, etc. He said he would order a stress test just to be sure. Then he said that usually after a stress test you have to come back, but he didn't think that I would have to. I went for the stress test (chemical because I can't work out) and the tech told me I did need to come back for a resting test. I did that. Today I got a call from the office nurse telling me the doctor wanted me to come back to go over my tests. She said she didn't know anything, but made an appointment. The tech did tell me when I was doing the resting test that my score on the stress test was within Am Heart Assn limits at 61. Does anyone know anything about stress tests and have any ideas to share with me? Thanks, Mary K. (MK for ease)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 7:40am
Better late than never answering. Thanks Marty for your helpful comments. I have been following a diet. In fact my doctor also gave me some Rx to help me lose weight. I joined WeightWatchers on line which has a great way of journaling food and also allows you to find the count (WW way) for your favorite foods. You can enter recipes and have them calculated. You can also enter the calories, fat calories and fiber of any food and have them calculate the points. Then you have to stay on program of eating properly as you mentioned, counting the starches. I'm into this a little over a month and so far it has gone very well. One of my main problems is that I cannot exercise, and that is needed for both the heart and the diabetes. Due to a terrible abdominal infection after surgery for a breast cancer recontruction, all my abdominal muscles had to be removed with the infected tissues. This left me with a huge hernia, like a budha. I wear two binders together 24/7 to keep my hernia pulled in as much as possible. Even walking a short distance is painful. It feels like being pregnant with twins at nine and a half months. LOL. However, I am very thankful I am alive, it could have been a different outcome. I did water aerobics for awhile, but after a bad infection which we think came from swimming pool bacteria I decided it would be best to stay out of the water. Thank you again for your concern and help. Hugs Mary K.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 2:42pm
Happy for you Mary K. I am also diabetic (they say due to heart attack trauma). The diet is tough, sugar comes in so many forms that you really should get some diabetic diet counseling. It is natural in fresh or canned fruit and juices so you can't overdo those and all the carbohydrates (potatoes, bread, crackers, rice etc)when digested turn into sugar; so those need to limited as well as the known stuff like sweets. Even some of the so-called sugar free stuff needs to be limited. See if the doc or someone can tell you where to get the diet counseling you will need to keep the sugar down. Best of luck to you, I am truly very happy that your heart is in good shape! ((((HUGS)))) Marty
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 10:28am
I had my follow up appointment with the cardiologist yesterday. He told me that my stress test and resting test were great. He said I had a beautiful heart, the pictures were perfect, BUT I have many high risk factors that could change that. He just wanted to stress to me that I must lose weight, exercise, and keep my heart this way. He told me he didn't ever want to have to see me again. So I got very good news. I wish that you all could have this kind of appointment. I am definitely working on the weight loss, since I was also just diagnosed with diabetes due to the weight gain, probably. Thanks for your insight. It looks like your board is picking up some, so is our breast cancer board. Changes just take time to get used to. Hugs to all of you here, Mary K.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 7:50am
Thank you Linda, that was good sensible advice. I will come back and let you know what happens. Sorry to see this board has slowed down due to the new format. So has our breast cancer support board. We used to have the best board on the block and then had some controversy over a new member and it is so sad how that tore the heart from the board. I hope you are able to get things moving here again. Support is so important to many of us. Thanks again for your help, Mary K.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 9:32pm
Welcome, MK!

Hmmmm! It seems to me that you're getting conflicting info from your doc, the nurse, and the tech...and I think I'd be confused too! I think you'll have to have a good talk with your doctor when you see him/her.....explain that you've gotten conflicting info, and really need to know WHAT everyone is talking about!!!!! Let us know what happens when you see your doc, okay?

Welcoming (((hugs))),

Linda.