Pregnant, Pvc's and beta blockers?

iVillage Member
Pregnant, Pvc's and beta blockers?
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 7:37am
Hi,

I am new to the board. I am 6 months pregnant and have developed constant pvc's. I will go into a bigeminy rythmn for hours at a time without a break. This last most days all day long, every day. I have had a work up by a cardiologist, holter, echo, stress test etc and all was found to be fine. The holter recorded 2000+ pvc's in 24 hours. I also get very breathless when they come in runs like that. I have had blood tests for everything that could cause it, nothing was found to be wrong. My question is, is this normal during pregnany? The card. says it could just be from that, pregnancy. Needless to say it is causing me a great deal of anxiety, which doesn't help. It is all I can focus on. The card. suggested going on a low dose beta blocker for the remainder of my pregnancy. Does anyone have any experience with this? Did you get any side effects from the beta blocker? How long did it take to begin working? Did it really help? SOrry for all of the questions, but I am freaking out. I have to do something because I feel like I am losing control.

Thanks, Lisa

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 8:09am
Hi, Lisa........

And welcome to the board! I think your cardiologist is being prudent! When you are pregnant, your body increases its blood volume. Your body is also dealing with an increase in many hormones! In some folks, this does trigger pvc's! Putting you on low doses of a beta blocker is a wise decision on your cardio's part! Especially since all your tests turned out completely normal.....those pvc's could very well be due ONLY to the fact that you're pregnant! Since you're in your third trimester, this would be the most logical thing for your cardio to recommend! Post often and let us know how you're doing on the beta blockers.....and congrats on the new baby!

Welcoming (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 3:40pm
Hi! I have some experience with pregnancy and beta blockers. In my 4th month of preg., I started getting a fast heartrate (tachycardia). My OB sent me to a cardiologist who said it was just the pregnancy working the heart hard! My tachycardia was 24/7. I was very breathless too. I went to another cardiologist. He gave me 2 holter monitors while pregnant and an ECHO. Everything was normal. I did start taking a beta-blocker (Lopressor in my 6th or 7th month of preg.) to make me feel better, but I don't think I had to take it. I felt like I was dying so I took it. I delivered a healthy baby on her due date! My tachy continued until 2 months post-partum. I had another ECHO which was normal, again.

When my daughter was 6 mos. old, I started getting a few PVC. Then it gradually got worse. I was having them every 4-6 beats. I got another monitor and it recorded 1,800 in a 24 hr. period. Again, I started my beta-blocker (don't know if it helped the PVCs). The PVCs stopped 4 months later. Boy, I was glad to see them go. I still don't know why I had them. It might have been stressed related.

Now I'm doing lots of searches about PVCs and pregnancy and found your post today! How about that? I know how uncomfortable those things are! I would rather have a fast heartrate than PVCs anyday!! I NEVER had any problems before I got pregnant. I'm a healthy person and a perfect weight for my height. Take the beta-blocker. It is safe for pregnancy and it never affected my baby's heartrate at all! I did come off of them about 2 or 3 weeks before she was due at the request of my cardiologist. I know it'a hard to relax with the PVCs, but these cardiologists say it's OK in a healthy, normal heart!

Good luck to you and post again if you need to! I'll check back! By any chance, are you having a girl? Sometimes I wonder if girls produce more of the hormones that make the body go wacky!

Karen

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 4:11pm
by the way, I've found several sites about pvc and preg. Email me if you want them.

Kdixon718@yahoo.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 4:35pm
Karen,

Thank you for your reply to PVC's and pregnancy. I am going to try a low dose beta blocker called atenolol. Did you notice any side effects when on your beta blocker? I also have asthma on occasion so have to watch that closely. I am getting the pvc's about like you mentioned, ever 3 to 4 beats. It makes me very short of breath and light headed. So I am hoping the beta blocker will help. Did you get short of breath and light headed with your frequent pvc's? My cardiologist thinks it is all hormones from pregnancy. I hope he is right.

Thanks again!! !Lisa