Congenital Heart Problems and Pregnancy

iVillage Member
Congenital Heart Problems and Pregnancy
Mon, 04-14-2003 - 8:34pm
I am curious about pregnancy and congenital heart problems. I am single and never have been pregnant before, so I want to know my risks in case I do in the future.

I was born with a PDA (patent ductus arterious) and had it repaired when I was about a month old. When I was 21 years old, I was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse with mild insuffiency, and a bicuspid aortic valve. Both are mild right now, and I am not on any heart medication. The only medication I take is for dental treatments.

I am 33 years old, and I am curious if it will make my heart conditions worse if I ever do become pregnant in the future. How much risk is it? I ask because pregnancy can make the heart work harder.

Thanks in advance to any of you who reply. :)

Nancy

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 9:19am
Hi, Nancy.........and welcome!

You're right in saying that pregnancy makes the heart work harder! The combination of hormones and increased blood volume DOES tend to tax the heart more during pregnancy! But, eveyone is different in how they react to the hormones and increased blood volume! I think you need to sit down with your cardiologist and ask him very directly what he thinks the effects would be on YOU and YOUR heart.....with regards to the past problems you have had! Let us know what your cardio says, okay? I believe every person with congenital heart problems is different from everyone else with past heart problems....and I think your cardio (since he has the best knowledge of exactly what's gone on with YOUR heart!) would be the one to answer questions about YOUR heart and what affect a pregnancy may have on YOU! Let us know!

Welcoming (((hugs))),

Linda.