hi, i'm new here ...

iVillage Member
hi, i'm new here ...
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 6:01pm
i'm not new to ivillage, i've been floating around for a while now, and have found some of the support boards particularly useful. i'm now looking to try to give something back to ivillage (i can't give back to those who helped me directly, but perhaps i can give back to some others) and i came upon your board. was wondering whether you'd mind me hanging around to perhaps offer some support?

i live in England, and i'm a nurse, working in a cardiac care unit, so my day to day life is involved in dealing with patients with acute cardiac problems, usually in the first 48 hours of either MI, arrhythmia, or acute heart failure, although we come across other cardiac problems. things are slightly different over here, so no doubt there are differences in advice, and medications, but i'd like to hang around, if noone minds. if i'm honest, i think i'd get as much out of hanging around as i hope i'd be able to give back - it's nice to hear the 'other side' of the coin, and patient's experiences, but also nice to find ways of communicating what can often be medical jargon in a way that people find accessible and understandable.

i'm thinking about applying to do some sort of CL work, but not really sure whether i can commit to that amount of time at the moment, but ... perhaps something more unofficial would be ok.

i hope noone minds me posting, and i won't be offended if you don't want me to stay, i appreciate that this is a rather out of the blue post!

i hope to hear from you soon, and maybe get to know some of you.

silver x

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 7:34pm
I think it's great that you stopped in!

I was only in the hospital overnight, for angioplasty, I didn't have a heart attack, but needed the procedure for a major blockage of my LAD. Still, it was a frightening and somewhat depressing experience, and I have to say all the nurses (as well as my doctors) were really great and that helped a lot.

Having people talk to me and explain things to me was very helpful, because everything is new and overwhelming. Sometimes other people told me things that my cardiologist decided differently (for example, a nurse suggested cardiac rehab but my cardiologist didn't think I needed it), but it was still useful to get information and feel like I was more informed.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 7:36pm
Hi, Silver........aand welcome to the board!

Of course you're MORE than welcome here! As a retired nurse (retired due to physical illness), I'm always glad to have another nurse around to bounce ideas off! I keep current by reading everything "medical" I can get my hands on....my regular nursing journals that come in.....plus I have quite a few doctor-friends who give me their current medical journals as well! Or even have their medical mags and journals sent to my house! LOL! I also did a stint in CCU and CICU when I was able to work in the hospitals. Online info is, for the most part, valuable too. I also have several friends in the UK who are nurses and work in various positions at several hospitals around the country. It's always interesting to me to hear of differences in treatments and medications from one country to the next....I think it's very important to get all points of view on ANY subject! Welcome aboard, Silver! May we know your name? Just asking so that we (and you!) may feel more comfortable with each other! Only a request, though....definitely not a necessity! ;0)

Welcoming (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 7:40pm
Welcome back, Islanddreams!

We hadn't heard from you in a while, and I was wondering how you were doing! Glad to hear you're doing so well! Don't be a stranger, Hon....post often and keep us updated on your progress, okay?

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 11:52am
Thanks very much for the welcome to your board. I hope to be able to get to know you all soon, and hopefully will be able to play my part here too. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, but in the mean time, i'll hang around and will do my best to help out and maybe we can all learn from each other (how corny does that sound!? sorry!).

Thanks particularly to Linda for your welcome.

Silver x

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 8:44pm
Thanks Linda!

I was doing great for awhile, getting my energy back and figuring out how to deal with the whole heart-healthy eating thing. Past couple of days I've been a little more tired, though, and that's making me kind of crabby, and I'm sick of chicken and miss pizza and beef! Oops, pity party's back! Uh oh. This too shall pass, I'm sure.

I go back for a stress test echocardiogram this week to find out how I'm doing. I'm hoping to hear that things are going great, and that's what I expect to hear, but I'm also a bit nervous since the last time I had a stress test was when they found the blockage and sent me to the hospital, that memory is still pretty raw.