Palpitations?

iVillage Member
Palpitations?
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 4:48pm
Hi y'all, I'm new here with a quick question. About a month ago I started having heart palpitations. My heart would beat really really hard for a time and then go back to normal for no apparent reason. I went to see the nurse practictioner two weeks ago. She did a couple of EKGs on me and said my heart rate was high (80-100 bpm). She told me to go home and write down when it would happen and take my pulse. According to the nurse, she wants to look for correlations between what I'm doing and when it occurs. I don't drink hardly any caffiene (average one glass of tea a week), don't smoke, drink, etc. I have found very limited info on this. It also seemed like she was more concerned with my heart rate (which I was told by a friend of mine who's a heart patient was normal) than the forceful beats. Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Jo

iVillage Member
In reply to: joanna32425
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 7:33pm
Hi, Jo.....and welcome to the board!

I think you should be seeing a cardiologist and having more tests than just a couple of EKG's! There are SO many different reasons for a person to have heart palpitations.....and there's no ONE way to find out WHY! You really should be seen by a good cardiologist and have him/her get the appropriate tests done and then follow up on this, I think! As wonderful as nurse practitioners are (and I'm a nurse and think NP's are the greatest thing since sliced bread!), they really aren't qualified to diagnose many of the more intricate cardiac problems.....for that you need a cardiologist. After you've had all the tests a cardio will give you, and if there's still no apparent reason for you to be having heart palpitations, then that cardio will refer you to, perhaps, another doctor for a second opinion. Please see a cardiologist, okay? And come back and let me know what your cardio has to say!

Welcoming (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 1:14pm
Okay, I'm back from the NP. I have bloodwork scheduled for early tomorrow morning (I can't eat anything) and she's refering me to a cardiologist. She dosen't think it's the Depo I'm on b/c my blood pressure is fine - good in fact. I have no other symptoms - no chest pains, numbness or tingling, etc. In fact, other than the occassional thud, thud, thud, I feel perfectly fine, which I know, dosen't mean anything.

Thanks for the support. I'll let y'all know when I get the cardio appt and what they say.

Jo:)

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 10:00pm
I am having the same problem right now. I had blood work done 2 wks ago and everything was fine. I can feel my heart pounding hard several times a day. My resting heart rate is anywhere from 90-100. Yesterday I had a heart moniter put on and taken off today. I had an echocardiogram today. I am really nervous. I wish they could tell you when you are done with the test rather than make you wait days for the results. You are very right about finding info on this I couldn't find any either. Are you overweight? I am, not sure if that is what the problem is or not. Good luck!~~Kelley
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 11:29pm
Welcome to the board, Kelley.....

The doctors usually can't tell you results of the tests immediately because all those readings must be analyzed by a doctor qualified to "read" the results...a cardiologist usually. It IS frustrating and nerve-wracking to have to wait, though! Weight CAN be an issue with any medical problem....and cardiac problems are no exception. Also, other risk factors are involved in making any diagnosis of cardiac problems. Good luck...and let us know how your tests turned out!

Welcoming (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 11:28am
Hi Kelly!

I had my blood work done this morning and the results will be back tomorrow. The nurse said they were testing for thyroid, cholesterol, electrolites and iron. She'll call me tomorrow with the results and my cardio appt.

I'm not anywhere near overweight. I'm just about at my ideal weight for my height. My resting heart rate has been in the 80-90's range and I feel great. A little tired from lack of sleep occassionally (who couldn't use a nap some days), but other than that great. One thing the NP did okay was for me to start doing yoga for relaxation and exercise, so this weekend hopefully I'll get a video and mat to start doing that. I could use some more flexibility.

I hope all your tests turn out good and that it's nothing serious.

Talk to ya soon!

Jo:)

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-06-2003 - 1:15pm
Hello joanna32425:

I also have had similar situation. My heart would race at high rates, sometimes 130 bpm. Just sorta take my breath away.

Finally through various tests they (cardio) did find that I had a arrythmia that was treatable with a b/p medication. That has worked very well so far. My heart would skip, thud, flop and sometimes feel it was turning a somersalt in my chest besides the days it decided to run away with itself.

I also discovered I was hypothyroid. That also can cause the same situation. I likewise drink no caffine and have quit smoking for 4 years. I remember my heart doing this years ago during menopause also. I don't know what the connection was as it eventually subsided only to appear years later.

Do you have any blood pressure problems? One web-site that might provide you some info is Mayoclinic.com or Web MD.

It took three years for the docs to catch this arrthymia of mine. It always eluded the stress echo's and the holtor moniters but finally it showed itself. I hope maybe in some way this info may help you or the web-site.

God Bless!

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-06-2003 - 5:00pm
Hello, Timespas1......and welcome to the board!

Thank you for your input! You're certainly right in saying that sometimes cardiac problems aren't immediately "found" during testing...but it's the right place to start!...and I'm happy that your persistance paid off and you finally have a proper diagnosis! I'm glad your heart palpitations appear less often now, and are evidently under control with the correct medication for you! Thanks for coming by...hope you'll visit us often!

Welcoming (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 12:24pm
Hi and thanks for your help!

My blood pressure is fine, good in fact, according to the NP. She said if it wasn't, she would think the Depo was the problem, but it's not. I also just had bloodwork done and everything is fine. I would've thought that I was hyperthyroid, but I'm not.

I'm glad your medication is working for you. I hope it stays working too.

Hugs,

Jo

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 6:44pm
In response to your post about "palpitations" and you couldn't find any information on it? Here is a website that may be informative and give you some insight! Please let me know what you think?

The website is: http://www.sads.org/

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 9:58pm
Welcome to the board, mariachristina......

Thank you for your input.

Linda.