Desperate for help!!

iVillage Member
Desperate for help!!
Sun, 05-04-2003 - 9:22pm
I don't know where to turn. My son's girlfriend was poisoned about 8 mos. ago. As a result she has had organ failure, plus multiple heart blockages and a clot near her brain. Doctors say they must operate (open heart) to remove the blockage (she has already had angioplasty 3x) in order to save her life. But they say she is too weak to undergo the surgery and that without it she only has a month or so to live. Can anyone direct me to a leading cardiology center in the Long Island, N.Y. or Philadelphia, Pa. areas or to nutritionists who might be able to build her up for the surgery. Can you tell me of online information? I am new at this and I am desperate to find some avenue of help that her current doctors have not suggested. I would appreciate any insight at all. I feel lost and helpless. Thank you so much.
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 6:27pm
Welcome Pat (waterlilylb).........

Thanks for giving that great contact info! Visit often!

Welcome!

Linda.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 1:31pm
Hi, I'm so sorry to here about your sons friend.I live on Long Island and I Have a heart cond.St. Francis Hospital in Roslyn, on Long Island.St. Francis is the Leading heart center on L.I.I was sent there by ambulance twice from 2 different local hosp.Dr.George Petrossian is one of the leading cardiovascular surgeon.Dr.Hormozi one of his associates did my produres.There well known-good at what they do and nice.

All the best,Pat
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-06-2003 - 9:26am
I am so very sorry to hear about your son's girlfriend. I did not read any other reply to your message so maybe some one already suggested this, Deborah Heart and Lung center in Browns Mills NJ is supposed to be the best in the tri state area. Everyone there is very helpful and knowledgable. I don't know if that will help but I am sending positive prayers and thoughts to you, your son and his girlfriend.

my best to you,

karen

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-05-2003 - 8:13am
Welcome to the board, Celanne1.....

First, let me say I'm so sorry to hear about your sons' girlfriend! Poor girl! How did that EVER happen....the poisoning? What a nightmare!

You don't say where you live, but if you're asking about Long Island or Philadelphia, please know that there are some terrific hospitals in BOTH those areas...and a good cardiology center should be readily available to her doctors if they need to transfer her to a major medical center. Please ask her doctors, if you can, if they ARE planning on transfering her to one of the major cardiac hospitals in those areas. I'm just guessing, but she IS still in the hospital, is that correct? If not, maybe she should be! Ask her, her family, or her doctors about whether or not they feel she should be in a hospital under medical supervision all the time....it would seem to me that THAT would be the best place for her to be, since she's in such fragile condition!

I'm assuming she's got MANY doctors taking care of her right now....and I'm also assuming that all those doctors are carefully monitoring her and staying in touch with each other regarding her on-going care. I don't think there's a lot you can actually do to have her transfered to another hospital. Are her parents not in the picture? If they aren't, and if you think the doctors will allow it, ask them if you can be more involved in her care and the decisions regarding her care. If she's an adult (or even someone under legal age, of course), she may already have family members in place that are making decisions with her doctors for her care........talk with those folks and see how you can help.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your son, and this young lady's family.....and particularly my prayers are with this girl for a full recovery. Talk with her family and doctors....they're the ones best able to give you answers to all the options that may be open to her. Let us know what happens, all right? I'm so sorry for the horror all of you are going through right now...and have been going through for the past 8 months....I hope this young woman has good doctors and gets all the proper medical care available. Good luck to all of you!

Welcoming (((hugs))),

Linda.