Good Test News

iVillage Member
Good Test News
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 8:44pm
I got my first blood test results since my angioplasty 8 weeks ago, and my cardiologist was very pleased -- me too. My cholesterol dropped to slighly below 150, while my HDLs stayed at 60 and my triglycerides are now a shade below 100. My cholesterol had been borderline high before, between 200 and 230.

My doctor said that honestly, a lot of this progress is due to the medication I'm on, but I choose to believe it's also my new heart-healthy eating. Made it easier to pass on the pizza at work today and have a grilled chicken sandwich on whole wheat!

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 8:14am
Thanks!!!

I can certainly understand how some things are easier just to give up than try to limit (that's me with M&Ms for sure. In for one, in for the bag....).

We'll be waiting to hear how your next reading goes. We're pulling for you!

Love and (((hugs))) for you

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 9:21pm
Hi, Hon!

Well, the doc has me getting blood tests every four weeks till the readings start getting better....then every eight weeks! <> I eat such a really good heart-healthy diet.....I've eaten properly for years!.....except for that chocolate addiction! ;0) So...no more chocolate for me! I'm the type that just can't seem to stop at one piece of chocolate...so it's easier to cut it out totally! I'll miss it! And I'm gonna have to run away from the candy aisle in the grocery store! LOL! I have a very bad family history of bad cholesterol.....all my siblings are on meds, and both my parents had high cholesterol. Hmmmm! As a matter of fact, my entire family is on cholesterol meds or has had high cholesterol! :0( Sheesh....it's a family curse, I guess! LOL! ;0) Not really funny, but you gotta have a sense of humor when you give up chocolate, right?! ;0)

I'll let you know what the readings are in three more weeks!

Keep taking that Zocor! Until the doc says you've had good readings for a while, you should stick with it! I'm SO proud of you for those good test results!!!!! See......you did it all the right way! YAY!!!!!!!!! :0)

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 7:53pm
Thanks Linda and silver for the support! Few people appreciate how important this is to me like fellow cardio patients!

Linda, sorry to hear about your cholesterol reading! When do you go for another test?

I must admit that my new healthy eating habits can't claim full credit for this, since my cardiologist put me on Zocor after my angioplasty. I'm kind of wondering how much is the anti-cholesterol drug and how much is my improved lifestyle. I was even briefly flirting with the idea of asking my doctor about going off the medication next time I see him, but probably not, since I think it would be higher without the meds with this same eating pattern.

I can't give up chocolate completely, but I am trying very hard not only to limit my amounts, but make sure I pick chocolates without the trans fats. I've decided that I can have saturated fats in small amounts, but trans fats are EVIL! I just don't want to have any (although I do take a handful of pretzels every day in the office, and those have some).

I find that many of the fabulous European chocolates like Lindt don't have the hydrogenated oils -- and I like that more anyway.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 10:13am
FANTASTIC! that really is wonderful news! hope you find a way to celebrate - fruit salad and a glass of grape juice or something!?

thanks for letting us know, really pleased for you!

silver xx

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 12:00am
AWESOME!!!!!!!

What good news, Hon!

<<>> My doc just put me on Lipitor. :0( I have a family history of cardiac problems, and had a heart attack myself years ago....but during some recent blood tests they discovered that my cholesterol was horrendous! Total was over 360, HDL was low, LDL was high, and triclycerides were awful! So......onto the Lipitor I went! Not having any probs with it....I'm sensitive to most meds, so my doc was a little worried....but so far, so good! I sure wish I had YOUR readings!!!!!

Keep up the good work, Hon! I'll be joining you in passing up that slice of pizza! I don't eat badly at all....I've followed a heart-healthy diet since my heart attack! BUT....I think my MAJOR downfall has been chocolate! So, it's bye-bye chocolate (sob!) and hello fresh fruit instead! ;0)

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.