Having a bad day

iVillage Member
Having a bad day
Tue, 05-13-2003 - 9:46pm
I'm having a bad day today, just need a little sympathy.

No pains, but I'm kind of sluggish still -- some days I feel just like before, but other days like today I'm still tired and not fully recovered from the angioplasty. I'm tired of being tired.

I'm tired of having to read food labels and plan my food every day. I'm tired of not being able to enjoy what I consider to be reasonable amounts of my former favorite foods. I'm tired of chicken. I'm tired of salads. I'm tired of looking at labels for sat fats and trans fats.

I'm annoyed that everyone I work with thinks I'm fine now, since I've been back full-time for awhile, so it's OK to pile on all the stress that they did before.

Basically I'm feeling pretty darn whiney. I know in my head that things could be a lot worse, and most days lately I've been OK with things.

But today I'm tired of having coronary artery disease.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-19-2003 - 2:27pm
Hi, I know exactly how you feel!! The dieting does get tiresome , especially if you were like me... its hard to change 34 yrs of eating whatever you want, whenever you want. At first, I was gung ho to eat whatever was healthy because I did not want another heart attack, then as I started feeling a little better, I started resenting that I had to eat this stuff! And it does get aggravating being tired and unable to do the things you had energy for before. I had my heart attack in December and I'm still tired a lot of the time.

I actually had to change my shift at work to nites (11-7)..it is much easier for me as far as being on my feet. Linda's right, you probably should talk to your bosses and see what they can do for you!!

And the monthly thing...well that does not help one bit, does it??

Hang in there and good luck to you...if you ever need to talk, I'm here :-)

Vonnie
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-15-2003 - 10:13pm
No....I'm afraid it doesn't work that way, Hon!

I wish! I know what you mean about those little treats not being "enough"....but since all your tests are coming back so good, you really can't risk "falling off the wagon" as far as all that good eating goes, huh?! ;0) Keep up the good work, Hon! Now I'm going to have to be "doubly good" to keep up with you!!!!! ;0)

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-15-2003 - 8:36pm
Ah, thanks, I knew you'd understand here! I'm actually not always this crabby about my CAD -- it just seems that way, because when I'm handling things well, I usually don't feel the need to post. Time of my monthly cycle is kind of exacerbating things at the moment.

I have been allowing myself some of my favorites in small portions occasionally. Problem is, the occasions are definitely not frequent enough compared to how often I want things! But after my test results were so good, I know that what I've been doing is healthy for me. And I'm trying to follow the nutritionist's advice.

I guess what I'd like is to know that I'm doing this for a certain amount of time and then I'm "cured" (i.e. don't have to do it anymore), but that's not how it works.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 7:53pm
I hear ya, Hon!

Having cardio-vascular disease is NOT fun.....and it's really a lot of work to keep being healthy! Including that diet stuff! But, Silver's right....you CAN have some of your old favorites! You should never feel as if you're depriving yourself of "living", and that includes eating the things you love....only occasionally, of course, and in small amounts. A "reasonable" diet is what you're looking to achieve....and you CAN! AND you can have small amounts of your favorite foods too...as long as you don't over-do it with the amounts you eat or with the frequency you eat those foods! When you have a major craving for one particular food, just have a small amount....and let it go at that! Never feel deprived...it takes the fun out of living, and it makes you want those "forbidden" foods even more! Just remember to balance it all out at the end of the day....you'll be happier and you'll still be able to stick with a diet that's heart-healthy!

As for the stress at work.......have you talked with your co-workers and bosses? Please do! They all need to know that although you are "recovering", you aren't 100 percent yet, and they need to cut you some slack! Good luck, Hon!

Let us know what you decide to do, okay? And you aren't whining, Hon.....you're angry at all the restrictions and that's perfectly normal! ((((hugs))))

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 12:02pm
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling fed up of things, though it's not surprising and not uncommon that you feel like this for a bit. As you might be aware, I work as a nurse in England so my suggestion comes from the standpoint that we hold at work. When it comes to dietary advice for patients with high cholesterol and/or coronary heart disease, we essentially advise sensible eating. We don't say "cut out everything you enjoy and never enjoy your food again". A little of what you fancy, as a treat, does you good - just not all the time. Obviously, you have to listen to what your doctor has advised but the advice that we give to our patients (not just us but also cardiac rehab nurses) is sensible eating. None of our leaflets have 'banned foods' just 'things that you should try to avoid'. Perhaps you could treat yourself just once? Having coronary artery disease shouldn't be the end of enjoying your food, or the start of being miserable.

Silver xx