How do You deal with the waits?

iVillage Member
How do You deal with the waits?
Thu, 05-15-2003 - 4:38am
I'd like to hear about how others deal with the waiting game?

It's been a couple of weeks since my last nuclear stress test. The nurse called a couple of days later and said that it showed adequate blood flow to the heart, but that the rest of the report had be discussed by the cardiologist at my next appt. and then stressed that I make sure I am at my next appt. I didn't find this very reassuring considering that every doctor I've ever seen gives out good news on the phone and bad news only in person.

I also have an echo scheduled for that day before I see the cardiologist and I'm not sure what all that is supposed to show.

At my last appt. my cardiologist told me he had found a congenital heart defect in my angiogram, but he didn't know what it was. I am waiting to find out what if anything he has learned about it and what he thinks should be done with it too.

I've had to wait for test results and such before, but it didn't seem to bother me like this. I'm also having worse symptoms of depression and anxiety (I'm Bipolar) right now, but I don't know which is actually causing which and my Pdoc won't do anything with my meds while they are trying to figure out my heart. I just feel like I'm a mess! Any thoughts?

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-15-2003 - 8:31am
Hi!

Sounds as if your cardiologist may be waiting to get the results of your echo before pulling all the information together for you. Yes, it IS hard to wait for test results! What I've done in the past is to accumulate all the information I could about what my doctors have already told me....that way, I can ask informed questions when I next see my doctors. If you're extremely worried about your past tests, call your doctor's office and tell the nurse or receptionist that you would like the doctor to call you back (preferably the same day!) as you need to hear from him/her (and have questions) regarding your tests. Explain to whomever you talk with at your doctor's office that you didn't feel comfortable about the level of information you were given, and would prefer that you hear from the doctor himself. Most doctors are very understanding about this, and will call you back that same day. Good luck, Hon....let us know what happens, okay?

(((hugs))),

Linda.