New here

iVillage Member
New here
Sat, 05-24-2003 - 8:13pm
Hello everyone. I am new to these boards and would like to introduce myself.

My name is Kate. I am 29 and was born with Transposition of the Great Vessels. I know that when I was born I was 1 of 3 living people in the United States with the defect. I have had 2 open heart surgeries. My first surgery was when I was 2 and they just placed a valve in my heart to try to help it function better until I was older. I had my 2nd surgery when I was 15. The repairs that they did at that time are still functioning today. I have a great cardiologist who I see 2x a year. I was told that I should never consider having children because my heart could not handle the stress. I proved all of them wrong!! I have a beautiful baby girl, Summer, who was born in January. I had very close monitoring throughout my pregnancy and with the help of meds during labor I delivered her vaginally. I have never taken meds for my heart problem and I have been given the ok to have 1 more child, but not till after I have a EKG and echo this fall.

I hope to get to know you all better.

Kate

Kate

Momma to Summer

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
iVillage Member
In reply to: summersmommy03
Sat, 05-24-2003 - 8:52pm
Hi, nice to meet you Kate! Glad you stopped in. It seems that you are doing a great job of living with your coronary situation, and I'm very happy for you that you were able to prove the experts wrong and deliver a healthy baby girl.

I'm in my early 40s and was diagnosed with coronary artery disease a few months ago, 95% blockage in a major artery. I was very fortunate that I had symptoms, which both I and my doctors took seriously, which allowed this to be diagnosed before I had a heart attack. I had angioplasty to open the artery a couple of months ago, and now I'm learning to live with my coronary artery disease. Besides the medication and visits to the cardiologist, the big change in my life is heart-healthy eating (I used to eat lots of beef and cheese. No more.) Since I was already at a healthy weight, exercised daily and didn't smoke, there's not a whole lot more I could change. Well, handling stress better, I'm still working on that.

Good luck to you!

iVillage Member
In reply to: summersmommy03
Sun, 05-25-2003 - 10:43am
Welcome, Kate!

Glad you found the board! Yours was quite a serious heart defect...and I'm sure glad things worked out so well for you! Congrats on baby Summer!!! Hope you keep posting and letting us know how things are going for you!

Welcoming (((hugs))),

Linda.