I'm new, my mom is in the hospital again

iVillage Member
I'm new, my mom is in the hospital again
Sun, 05-25-2003 - 9:32am
Hi, I'm new here. My mom has coronary artery disease and has 13 stents, yes 13. She also has diabetes and asthma which just complicate things. I had to take her into the ER yesterday at 3am cause she was having severe chest pain, again. This is probably about the 6th time i've had to do this in the past couple of years, not to mention the times my sister has brought her in. I'm 19 and this has been really hard for me. I can't help but wonder sometimes if she is going to make it to my college graduation or see me get married. She is still in the hospital today and will be for a few days as they try and run every test possible to avoid another catherization. I just don't know what to do, it kills me to see how week she is just on an every day basis and her pain. I feel guilt about going out of state to college because what if something happens while i'm away? It's so hard and i don't know how to handle it. ~Lyndsey
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-25-2003 - 10:56am
Welcome to the board, Lyndsey.....

I know this is really tough on you, but I also know you're making your mother proud by going to college and getting your education! Your mother has quite a lot of problems, but it appears that she's getting good medical care - and that's one of the most important things anyone with cardiac problems can have! Yes, it's hard to see your mother in pain and weakened by her condition....but please try not to feel guilty! Your mother's physical problems aren't your fault or anything you can control! If those guilt feelings are really taking a toll on you, please seek out a councellor who you can talk with reagarding your guilt feelings. I'm hoping your mother is feeling a lot better today than she did yesterday! Also....next time your mother is having chest pains or problems of any sort (as your described), please call 911 immediately! Ambulances have more resources to help your mother on the ride to the hospital than the family car....and it's always important to get immediate help for anyone with known cardiac problems who is having chest pains, shortness of breath, etc.

Good luck to your mother and you, Lindsey! Come back soon and let us know how your mother is doing, okay?

Welcoming (((hugs))),

Linda.