Fight mosquitos!

iVillage Member
Fight mosquitos!
Thu, 05-29-2003 - 10:31am
One of the other cl's had this really great info on fighting mosquitos...thought I'd pass it along! Thanks, cl-ivsteady!

Fight Mosquitos Don't give west nile a chance!

OK, mosquitos...prepare to be repelled!!!!!

Use Bounce Fabric Softener Sheets...Best thing ever used in Minnesota..just wipe on & go...Great for Babies. The ones with "Gain" really stink LOL!

As a fisherman and one that is outdoors at the worst time of day for the critters I take one vitamin B-1 tablet a day April through October. It works. The odor the tablet gives out through your skin (YOU cannot smell it) repels mosquitoes, black flies, no seeum's, and knat's. It does not work on stinging insects. Have had very few mosquito bites in years. Try it. Every one I have talked into trying it works on them.

Vitamin B-1 (Thiamin Hydrochloride 100 mg.)

NPR reports that if you eat bananas, the mosquitos like you, something about the banana oil as your body processes it. (Maybe they need the potassium too-lol) Stop eating bananas for the summer and the mosquitos will be much less interested.

This is going to floor you, but one of the best

insect repellents someone found (who is in the woods

every day), is Vick's Vaporub.

Plant marigolds around the yard, the flowers giveoff a smell that bugs do not like, so plant some in that garden also to help ward off bugs without

using insecticides.

"Tough guy" Marines who spend a great deal of time"camping out" say that the very best mosquito repellent you can use is Avon Skin-So-Soft bath

oil mixed about half and half with alcohol.

Mix your own:

20 drops Eucalyptus oil

20 drops Cedarwood oil

10 drops Tea Tree oil

10 drops Geranium oil

2 oz. carrier oil (such as Jojoba )

Mix together in a 4 oz. container. Apply to skin as needed avoiding the eye

area. Keep out of reach of children. Test on a small area of skin for

sensitivities. Experiment with different percentages of essential oil

One of the best natural insect repellents that I've discovered is made from the clear real vanilla (not the grocery store vanilla extract which is mostly

alcohol). This is the pure vanilla that is sold in Mexico. It's cheap there if you know of someonethat lives there or in the US close to the border.

If not, health food stores usually carry it or can order it for you. I use it half vanilla and half water and find that it works great for mosquitoes and ticks, don't know about other insects.

Like to sit outdoors in summer, but those pesky

Mosquitoes drive you nuts? Well, here's a very simple and

Inexpensive solution that really works.

Get a white plate, put some water in it, and then add a

couple of drops of LEMON Joy dishwashing soap. Then

place the plate near where you'll be sitting outside. The

mosquitoes will be attracted right to the plate, and will drop

dead in the plate or nearby. How cheap and easy was that,

and no yucky chemicals!

When all else fails--get a frog