First time I have been back ......

iVillage Member
First time I have been back ......
Sat, 06-07-2003 - 1:00am
This is my first time back since this board changed. The last time I had posted was right before the Christmas holidays in 2002. My father had quadruple bypass surgery in 1992 and he had a stroke in 1989. My question and concern about my father is that my mother was just diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis in Jan. of this year. I would like to know if my mom's illness will have an affect on my father? He is in the very early stages of Congestive Heart Failure and I am wondering if my mom's illness is contributiting to the Congestive Heart Failure or because of the stroke and bypass surgery (Congestive Heart Failure) is more likely. His doctor has not come right out and tolds that my mom's illness is a factor or not.

I guess thats what happens when you go to the Veterans Hospital. I mean no disrespect to the Veterans here in this board. The only reason my father has been seen by the doctors at the Veterans Hospital is because he himself is a Peace time Veteran. The doctor does not seem as concerned about my father and my mother. This year has been a bad year for myself and my family.

Leticia
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-07-2003 - 11:34pm
Hi, Leticia.....and welcome back!

It doesn't seem to me that your mother's illness is CAUSING further CHF for your father....BUT, saying that, STRESS may increase his symptoms.....and I'm sure he's pretty stressed out about your mother's diagnosis. Your father has pre-existing heart problems, so I'd think that the CHF was due to "all that went before" in his medical history. But, I'm sure he's very concerned about your mother, so the stress of THAT wouldn't be good for him. I'm so sorry this year has been so rough on your family, Hon! But, perhaps if you talk with the doctor your father sees at the VA hospital, you can explain to him that your mother's diagnosis is causing your father stress, and you feel that perhaps the doctor can help your father better deal with his stress-level with either councelling or medication or both! Good luck, Hon! Glad to see you back posting....NOT glad that your family has had such a hard year! Post again soon and let me know how things are going, okay?

Welcome back (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-15-2003 - 4:36pm
Thank your for thoughts and prayers. Your right nobody cause my dad CHF and nobody caused my mother to get Pulmonary Fibrosis. It is a freak of nature that both are ill at the same time. As for the docs at the VA , my mom has decided to get my dad in to see her internist so that we can keep a closer eye on my dad. This was he sees her and only her and if he needs to the cardiologist then she will recommend it. In the long run it will be better for my dad in the end.

Leticia