Hi. New here with a question about Dh...

iVillage Member
Hi. New here with a question about Dh...
Tue, 06-10-2003 - 12:38pm
Hi, my name is Sarah and I am here looking for some answers about my husband. He has been seeing a cardiologist for several months now. He was originally refered to him for a heart murmur that he has been aware of for several years, but our PCP wanted to check it out further. Well, he went in, had the stress test, the EKG and something else I can't remember and found a 30% reverse blood flow in his heart and a weakened left side and was put on Coreg (?) and asprin daily. He recently went in for a T-wave test to check for more problems ..... one of which the Dr refered to as the "athlete's syndrome" where his heart would just stop with no warning .... and the nurse called today to say that the Dr found some abnormalities and wants him to come back in. Does anyone know what the next step will be? I am so worried about this test showing something wrong since it was checking for the worst problems. My husband is only 26 years old, he shouldn't be having to face these concerns yet .... I am so worried about what will happen!! Has anyone been thru this before? The Dr had mentioned before that depending of certain results he will need to stay on the medicine for life or end up needing surgery... I am scared!!!

Thanks for any help!

Sarah

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-10-2003 - 9:36pm
Sorry about the stress, uncertainty and fear surrounding what's going on with your husband right now! Sorry I can't offer any specific information about the medical situation -- there are others here who might be able to. I just wanted to suggest making sure you and your husband are comfortable with his cardiologist, you trust him and feel that he or she is telling you what you need to know in the way you need. Don't be afraid to ask for a second opinion if you're not confident about what you're being told.

I was seeing a cardiologist who I felt was competent enough generally, but I just wasn't comfortable that he knew what to do with someone like me -- pre-menopausal woman with no obvious risk factors. I asked my physician for another referral, and now am seeing a wonderful cardiologist who I feel much more comfortable with, and that makes a big difference.

Good luck!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 7:54am
Hi, Sarah........and welcome to the board!

There's really no way for us to know what your husband's cardiologist has planned for your husband, but I think (if this was ME and I was the one dealing with these problems) I would ask for a second (and possibly third or MORE!) opinion. No cardiologist is 100 percent right all the time, and I think other opinions may be warranted. Unfortunately (as a lot of us have learned the hard way) cardiovascular disease does not discriminate.....for age, for gender, for anything! Yes, your husband is a young man. But there are LOTS of folks his age (AND older.....AND younger!) who have this type of cardiac problem! Please ask every single question you've asked HERE of the cardiologist your husband is currently seeing....and then get a second opinion and ask the same questions of THAT doctor. Make sure that the cardiologists answer your questions in language that is easily understandable, bring a tape recorder to the doctor's appointments so that you can record the doctor's answers (if the doctor will not allow this, immediately seek another doctor's opinion - any competent doctor does NOT object to having a patient's questions answered on tape)......or ask him to write things down for you! Let us know what happens, and what all the cardiologists have to say, okay?

Welcoming (((hugs))),

Linda.