With apologies, my friends......

iVillage Member
With apologies, my friends......
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 7:38pm
This is the email I sent my boss here at ivillage today. I hope I'll be able to keep updated with you all as a regular member, not a cl- from now on!

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

19 June, 2003.

Dear Cindi,

It is with regret that I tender my resignation from all my boards (the Heart Problems and Stroke Board, the Lung Cancer Board, the Living With Cancer Board, the Multiple Sclerosis Board, and the Schizophrenia Board) and my Friday night Mental Health Support Chat effective on July 1, 2003. This should give you some time to let other cl's know that these boards will be needing hosts, and will let you get a new chat host for the Friday night chat.

As you know, I've had problems reading the boards since they changed...and the text hasn't become any easier to read as the time has gone on. As a matter of fact, I find it increasingly difficult. With my on-going vision problems due to multiple sclerosis, and other health problems I'm sure you're aware of, accessing the boards easily has become very difficult and extremely time-consuming! That, plus the fact that my boards (with the exception of one board) are basically ghost-towns now, prompts me to make this decision....regretfully.

I am hoping that you and ivillage will allow me to post occasionally as a regular member....I've made many good friends here at ivillage, and really don't want to lose track of them! I'd like to retain my "old" (pre cl-) name of themummy2001.

But, at this point in time, the stress of trying to read the boards with my failing eyesight, plus the requirement of posting a minimum of three times a week (this has become extremely difficult, as although many people may lurk on my boards, I have very few posting members now), plus my medical issues, finds me unable to do my boards or my chat the justice I once felt I could give them - before the change to the board's current format. I feel very constrained at ivillage now, and what was once the ONE place I happily logged onto ALL the time and every day, has become a place where (although I DO log on to ivillage every day.....several times!.....and DO try to meet my commitments to ivillage) I feel like I'm being pressured to read page after page of posts (the threads are not really "connected", and I find that looking for that one post I need to respond to is not only time-consuming, but arduous) - and I find this difficult. There is no way to have a "real" conversation with friends on the new board format (the way we used to be able to converse with our friends), and I find that a shame. I find that I'm getting more emails than posts from the members who have, over the years, become my friends. The constant pop-ups are "wearing" too - I have two pop-up blockers, but I still "X"-out far too many pop-ups when I am trying to access my boards. This is not only time-consuming, but also annoying and in my opinion counter-productive to ANY cl- who is trying her hardest to access her boards! Having to get through three or four pop-ups before you can even GET to your board is more than anyone should have to deal with, in my opinion. Hard on the eyes, and aggrevating to no end.

I have loved ivillage for years, and it's with heavy heart and much sadness that I resign being a cl....a job I've loved! I am sincerely hoping that ivillage WILL allow me to post with my "original" ivillage name. As I've not violated any terms of service and I believe my "record" with ivillage is clean, I shouldn't think that there would be a problem with that.

Thank you, Cindi, for all you do for ivillage. Please know that this decision took a very long time, and much soul-searching, for me to make. It is with MUCH sadness that I send you this email.

Signing off in my usual way - love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

sl.bowman@verizon.net

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-21-2003 - 2:36pm
Sorry to see you go as a host here, where you've done such a great job. Good luck with everything, and hope we'll see you here as one of the e-masses!
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-21-2003 - 4:57pm
Thanks, Hon!

Oh yes...I'll be posting from time to time as a regular member! Please don't lose touch, okay?

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

sl.bowman@verizon.net

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-21-2003 - 5:55pm
Linda,

Sorry to see you leaving. You've done a fantastic job here and your input will, I'm sure, be missed.

Take care, and I'm sure we'll see you around still.

Silver xx

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-21-2003 - 10:43pm
Thanks, Silver!

Unfortunately, stepping down as a cl- was NOT the choice I would have ever made...but ones health HAS to come first, I'm afraid! Yes, I'll most definitely be posting here...and I sure don't want to lose track of ANY of the friends I've made on ivillage! Thank you for your kind words! I appreciate them!

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

sl.bowman@verizon.net

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-22-2003 - 2:40pm
Yes one's health DOES HAVE TO COME FIRST, as many of us learn the hard way. No reason to apologize for that, ever.

I'm cutting back some activities since my angioplasty, at first I felt guilty about it, then I thought, what am I nuts? What could possibly be more important than my recovery and reducing my stress so I lower the chances of this happening again?????

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-22-2003 - 4:14pm
Exactly, Hon!

As you already know, I have on-going cardiac problems that are held in check fairly well. I also have multiple sclerosis (which is an exhausting disease most of the time), and the docs found a small (and curable!) cancer which they're treating with chemo. Between the MS and the chemo, I'm totally wiped out! And I just couldn't give "my all" to my boards, chat, or my friends here on ivillage anymore! I feel like I need a nap every couple hours!!!! LOL!

I'm GLAD you've cut back some of your activities! You NEVER, EVER want that to happen again, so don't feel one bit guilty about stopping some activities that may have cuase ANY stress! You don't need it....stress OR another angioplasty! Take care of yourself, Hon.....you're the only "YOU" there is in the world, and you're far too important to loved ones and friends to let things get back to where they were healthy-wise for you!

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

sl,bowman@verizon.net

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-02-2003 - 1:02am
Dear Linda,

Hi! I was the CL for the Arrhythmias & Angina board that became the Cardiomyopathy board (and I think something else) and then the Heart Problems board, and then I gave up!

I am very familiar with the struggle you have been through (I can't believe you hosted that many boards--that would drain anybody really, really fast!). When they started playing with the names and consolidating, it was like talking to a wall. In the beginning there was an actual doctor who was supposedly "in charge" or supervising the boards or something, but when the big push to make money came along, any attempt at having the boards make any medical sense seemed to disappear.

I also agree that the new board design is horrible. You can't see the posts, the count isn't even right, and there isn't the same kind of community feeling. It is a true shame that the technology is breaking what it creates.

Take good care of yourself and I hope things get better for you. I was CL-irisindra and there wasn't even a bat of an eyelash about keeping my username, so don't worry about it.

All the best,

Sarah (Iris Indra)

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-02-2003 - 7:54am
Thank you SO much, Sandra!

There was much that wasn't said out-right in that email.....I have sight in only one eye due to multiple sclerosis, and I am currently taking chemo for a cancer that is curable but requires the chemo "just to be safe and certain"! Between not being able to "see" the boards because of the bunched-up text (!), the fatigue from the MS, and the exhaustion from the chemo....well, I don't think I was doing my boards and chat the justice they deserve and expected from me right now, you know? I've been your basic "dish-rag" since starting the chemo! Totally wiped me out! As a nurse, I feel I still have a lot of medical advice that I can pass along...and I certainly won't abandon the boards! But, you're right..there comes a time when you simply CAN'T do the things you used to...and it's frustrating and you feel as if you've let your board members down somehow when you're too tired to all that's required of you!! That is something I NEVER wanted to do, so I felt I HAD to step down (even if it's for a while) so that I could get my own health under better control!!! Yep......with five boards and a two hour chat during my week, plus the resulting reports etc. (plus wanting to make it to other chats that were important and relevant to the posters on my boards as well!), I just tired myself out FAR too much! The board format IS hard....and lots of folks have kept in touch with me (since the change-over) via email rather than post (because they have trouble with the new format...seeing it, etc.). I WILL miss being a cl-! But right now, my health HAS to come first! Thanks Sandra...you're a doll to have posted such a wonderful message for me to wake up to! Take care of yourself, Hon!

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

sl.bowman@verizon.net