Good News at the Doc's

iVillage Member
Good News at the Doc's
Wed, 07-09-2003 - 8:30pm
Just had my regular annual physical -- first one since my angioplasty in March. My doctor was really pleased at my numbers -- weight, BP, etc. -- and believes that there's a good chance I can avoid future problems for a long time. Sure hope he's right! It was nice to hear.

I also thanked him for taking my symptoms seriously. He said credit goes to my cardiologist as well -- after my thallium stress test came back normal, he still didn't blow me off but kept monitoring me and scheduled the second stress/echo, which showed problems and then I had the angiogram the next day that turned out to be a very serious blockage.

I have more tests scheduled this fall. I am hoping those turn out to be good as well; after that, I think I'll be able to relax a bit more about my heart disease! The whole thing was an awfully big scare.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-10-2003 - 8:00am
WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!

That's TERRIFIC news!!!!! I'm SO glad your exam was a good one! Try not to worry about the NEXT one (well, don't worry too much, okay?!).....you're doing all the right things with your diet-exercise-etc., so you'll be fine!!!! How's that diet coming along, anyway? Let me know how you're actually feeling too...how's your energy level, and how you feel in general! I'm so happy for you, Hon! Best news I've had this morning!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

sl.bowman@verizon.net

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-10-2003 - 10:34pm
Thanks so much!!! I'm feeling SO much better. I finally have most of my energy back, and I'm getting close to exercising at my pre-heart-problem levels. It really feels great. I'm still tired at night a lot after work, though.

I'm learning to live with the diet. I'm still eating pretty healthy although not quite as rigid as a couple of months ago. I'm curious to see what my autumn tests show. It would be pretty hard for me to keep up what I was doing right after surgery, when I was pretty frightened over what had happened. I can live this way, though -- I've still cut out most of the junk I was eating and drastically cut back on things like beef and cheese, but I have a few treats each week that satisfy. If the numbers are still good and my artery is still open, things will be looking up.

Honestly, some of the junk food I cut out I'm just as glad to be rid of, even though it was yummy. After eating 2 donuts at work in the morning, I'd feel a bit sick to my stomach for hours after. Now if I have whole grain cereal and fruit, or half a bagel and a teensy bit of cream cheese, I feel much better. I give myself a little piece of donut -- maybe 1/8 or 1/6, just to get the pleasant taste, and that's it. It's fine.

I really do love feeling fit again, and being able to exercise without chest pains. And I'm finally starting to appreciate that I was very lucky (before, when people told me I was lucky, I felt like biting their heads off. Maybe THEY'D like to be so lucky as to have heart disease despite being a good weight, exercising daily, never smoking, etc.) I found out that my blockage was extremely serious because of its location, and odds are if it had become completely blocked, the issue wouldn't have been having a heart attack that left permanent damage -- it probably would have been fatal. Taken in that context, eating less beef seems a pretty small thing to be whining about. Especially when both my primary care physician and cardiologist say the problem's fixed and they don't expect a recurrence.

How are you doing???

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-10-2003 - 11:44pm
WOO-HOO!!!!!!!

I'm sure liking what your docs are telling you! It took me a long time after my heart attack to learn to live with the whole diet-thing without resenting it!!!! Then I realized that I COULD add a few bites of things that I really loved, and it wouldn't ruin that strict diet! That made it SO much easier! :0) I still am ON that diet to this day! I have a cholesterol problem (docs think it's genetic....my whole family has the same problem, and none of them ever ate as well as I always did!), so I'm on Lipitor for that.....I'm trying to get the numbers down some, but I know that they'll never be within what's considered "normal" range! Oh well! Lower is better....and that's what I'm going for! ;0)

I'm doing well, Hon!!! Thanks for asking! I have my last chemo session tomorrow! YAY! I'll be so glad to finally be finished with THAT! Between the multiple sclerosis and the chemo, I've been pretty much sleep-walking my way through the days! LOL! I swear I could have fallen asleep on a rock! But, I'm sure that after tomorrows last chemo session, I'll get some of my energy back and start feeling more like "me" again! ;0) And maybe I won't fall asleep at the laundramat again....watching the dryers go round and round!!!! LOL! Yep..I actually DID that! Yikes! ;0)

Hang in there with the diet, Hon! But always remember that you CAN "cheat" once in a while and indulge yourself with a tiny bit of some goodie! It doesn't hurt....and it sure makes the whole concept of being on such a strict diet easier to deal with! A bite of a good burger won't hurt you....once in a while!!!! :0)

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

sl.bowman@verizon.net

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-11-2003 - 7:30am
Glad to hear the chemo's wrapping up, that must be a horribly unpleasant experience. Feeling tired all the time is really hard. And how unfair is it that you eat all the right things and take your meds, and your cholesterol isn't 150 or below!!! Definitely NO FAIR! But, as I've learned, there's not much you can do about your genes.

I'm on Zocor, I suspect my cardiologist will keep me on it. My cholesterol numbers were really good last time, but it feels like cheating if it got down because of the meds. Although I like to think some credit goes also to my new nutrition habits!

Strangely, I don't want to be putting a lot of junk into my body now. I'm actually losing my desire to have the more fatty cuts of beef, which is really odd considering my recent history (boy did I love making chuck stews in cold weather). I'm definitely NOT losing my taste for whole-milk mozzarella cheese though.... Had pizza last weekend for the first time in about a month, boy was that great.

Take care! All the best!!