Stroke at 39 yrs old-newbie

iVillage Member
Stroke at 39 yrs old-newbie
Sat, 08-02-2003 - 2:14pm
Hi I am new to this board, I had a mild stroke 2 mos ago. I have a mechanical heart valve and a clot formed on itand cut the oxygen off to my brain. Does it ever get better? I dont feel I have made much progress in 2 mos. I have days where I seem to be totally confused. Feels as if I am losing my mind. Anyone else feel this? The Professionals tell me its normal healing. but it doesnt seem normal to me. AM i going crazy? How do i clear this fogginess from my brain.

I am too youn foR this SH*T. I feel as if I have lost some of my mental capacity. thry tell me I haven't. Time heals they say. How much time?

Hope

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-02-2003 - 9:44pm
Hi, Hope.......and welcome to the board!

No, you aren't going crazy! And two months is a very short time to regain full physical health after ANY stroke! You're doing WELL! Just by your post here, you are coherent and able to express yourself extremely well! I know you want the "brain fog" to go away...it'll take time, but it probably will happen! I know you want full function back in your body....your body needs time to heal...give it the time it needs! If your doctors say you're "on schedule" as far as your recovery goes, then YOU ARE!!!!! How much time???? However long it takes, Hon! I know that's not the answer you wanted to hear, but it's a truthful answer! Strokes are tricky to "catagorize".....some strokes just take longer to recover from than others...even if the stoke was a mild one! The fact that you also have other medical problems is probably a contributing factor in how quickly you're recovering......so give yourself some more time! You're doctors know how quickly you're recovering...they tell you you're doing well.....believe them! Right now, two months seems like an eternity to you....it's really a very short time! You've come a long way in that short time if your docs say your doing well and are "on schedule" in your recovery! I know it's difficult, but please have some patience with yourself! Yes, time DOES heal....you just haven't given yourself ENOUGH time to heal the way you want to heal! Keep us up-dated on your progress....and don't beat yourself up because you haven't fully recovered yet.....it's only been two months....give your body a chance to heal! All in good time, Hon! Let us know how you're doing, okay?

Welcoming (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-04-2003 - 5:06pm
It does take time. I suffered a stroke at the age 35 (4 years ago). Did your doctor put you on the blood thinner cumiden? If so, that med did make me more confused, tired, lethargic, etc... he finally changed my med to plavix and that made all the difference. However, after two months I still could not have been on a message board asking for opinions! Lost all ability to communicate and was in speech therapy for months trying to, as they explained it, "map a new route in my brain for speech". The neurologist did put me on antidepressants and this does help.

Give it time... take one day at a time.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-28-2003 - 3:01pm
from stroke to treatment was about 3 1/2 days. the day of the stroke and the next day were filled with tests... then about 1 1/2 days of waiting to see the neurologist who made me furious. It's pretty bad when you're mad and can't talk or write!! Did not continue to see that neurologist - saw another one who explained everything to me. I did see a speech therapist a few times in the hospital and my doctor referred me to one on an outpatient basis for the next three months... twice a week, then once a week until I could communicate. It did not take me but a couple of weeks to get muscle control back in order to write, type and drive although even writing and typing i had a hard time with words.. everything seemed to be jumbled. I went back to work after a couple of weeks, but still could hardly talk - others took up the slack and gave me "busy work" - mostly i was just "there" and just being there helped - half days at first for a couple of months. I did not have to have any physical therapy besides just walking each day and trying to stay on some kind of schedule. It took a good six months to get most speech back, but still if i get nervous or tired some words just won't come out or my speech sounds kind of slurred. People that didn't know me before really don't notice it, but I do. the hardest thing to get used to was and still is the fact that i now think faster than i can talk... it's frustrating...

take one day at a time and set small goals... if your medicine makes you sick or out of sorts please tell your doctor until you get everything right. it just takes time. i'm just glad it was not more severe.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-29-2003 - 12:24pm

Hi there.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-29-2003 - 12:29pm

Hi there!

Congratulations on your survivorship!

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-30-2003 - 2:48pm
My stroke was at age 35 and i am now 39... after all speach therapy and blood thinners, i now just go twice a year to my internist for check ups. my internist believes that it was caused by birth control pills (that is a side effect), but my ob/gyn (of course) does not... had my tubes tied just in case! I had tests for blood protein disorder since clots/strokes run in my father's side of the family, but no disorder there... i guess we will never know unless i have more problems.