Husband needs heart catheterization :(

iVillage Member
Husband needs heart catheterization :(
Tue, 09-02-2003 - 9:52am
He goes in for this tomorrow morning. He's only 39 and I'm scared. I could only imagine how he feels. Any of you had this and what can we expect? Thanks!!

Robin~

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-02-2003 - 12:47pm
Hi, Robin.....and welcome to the board!

MANY folks on the board here have had cardiac catheterizations....for different reasons! You didn't mention why your DH's doctor is sending him for a cardiac cath, so it's kind of impossible to let you know what to expect! Hopefully, your DH is seeing a good cardiologist.......and if that's the case, then you need to ask his doctor exactly WHY he's recommending this procedure, and what you and your DH can expect after the procedure is done! Good luck to your DH tomorrow.....let us know how he does and what the doctor had to say, okay?

Welcoming (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-02-2003 - 8:45pm
Hi Linda. He started having chest pains in June and went to our family dr. After some bloodwork, EKG and a stress test, he sent him to this cardiologist. He checked the results of the stress test and said the blood flow was not right on the left side of the heart. He used nore technical terms, but that's how my husband explained it to me. His cholesterol is 275. Not sure about the other numbers yet. I'll be meeting this dr tomorrow. My husband saw him last Friday for the first time. He's part of the Cleveland Clinic dr's, so I'm not worried about that part. Just scared because this came on so suddenly. I'll let you know how things do tomorrow. Thanks!!

Robin~

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-03-2003 - 11:57am
Hi, Robin!

I'm sending up prayers and positive thoughts for your DH! Unfortunately, heart problems are an "equal opportunity disease"...heart problems don't discriminate because of age or gender or anything! Your DH's cholesterol IS high, and most likely (if the docs don't find anything really "significant" (I hate that term, but it's the best one to use in this instance!) after his cardiac cath), they'll probably put him on one of the cholesterol-lowering meds (I'm on one!). Hopefully they'll find something easily correctable (fingers crossed!), and he won't need anything as far as further invasive treatment...maybe simply medication. I'm praying that's going to be the case! As far as the Cleveland Clinic....he couldn't be in a better place for ANY procedure like a cardiac cath...they do a LOT of cardiac caths every year and their reputation is terrific! Let me know how it goes, and what the docs have to say, okay? Oh...and if there's ANYTHING you don't understand (docs tend to speak in medical jargon...not easily understood unless you've worked in the medical profession!), make absolutely SURE that you have the doc "translate" things for you so that both you and your DH completely understand what's happening and why! Good luck, Hon...to you and your DH!

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-03-2003 - 10:29pm
Hello again. His catheterization went fine today. They didn't find any blockages or abnormalties. Thank God!! They checked his cholesterol again and here's the numbers they gave me...

Total cholesterol 196 /Goal below 200

Triglycerides 133 / Goal below 150

HDL 48

LDL 130 / Goal below 130

We'll work on the HDL and LDL and they have him on 20mg of Zocor once a day along with Toprol-XL, which he doesn't like. He wants off that one because it makes him feel crappy and tired. Hopefully the dr will let him come off that one since his test came back good. We'll see. Thank you for all you info and support.

Robin~

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-03-2003 - 11:03pm
Hi, Robin!

YAY!!!!!!! I'm SO glad things went so well!!!! Yep, Zocor is what I'm on too....with some exercise in there and a good diet, he's most likely going to have good results from the Zocor (my one "weakness" is chocolate (!), so I REALLY have to watch how much I eat of THAT!)...otherwise my numbers are coming down on the Zocor alone (well, with the proper diet and some exercise!). My docs had me on Toprol some years ago, and I also had trouble with it....made me feel very tired and I guess I was rather - um - "unpleasant" to be around sometimes (or so my DH informed me!) as I had mood swings while on Toprol! I was only on that med for about two weeks and the docs discontinued it when I told them how I felt while taking it! Your DH's numbers aren't bad at all....the first time he had the test done, did he fast for 12 hours beforehand? Obviously, he fasted THIS time around! Yep....the "bad" cholesterol could use a little work, but his numbers aren't as bad as I'd thought they might be! Robin, I'm REALLY happy that things turned out so well....have the docs decided what caused the chest pain in June? Perhaps it was something totally unrelated to cardiac problems? I'd really be interested in hearing what your DH's docs say! Tell your DH that I'm VERY relieved and happy for him! I had a heart attack at age 36, and have pretty much behaved myself since then..I don't ever want another one! Let me know what the docs say about that chest pain back in June, okay?

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-04-2003 - 8:26am
He goes back to our family dr in a few weeks, so hopefully we'll get him off Toprol. He did fast for his first round of cholesterol checks, but I wasn't at his appt for the results, so my husband could have got the number (275) wrong. Unless the meds work that fast, but I'll ask the dr when I go back with him what the original numbers were. Thanks again.

Robin~