Need advice about mom's heart attack...

iVillage Member
Need advice about mom's heart attack...
Wed, 09-03-2003 - 2:00pm
My name is Lisa. My mom, 63, had a heart attack 10 days ago (Sunday). She had severe damage and has 30% function left. She is still in hospital with GI issues that she had earlier this spring (nausea, anemia) She is also VERY short of breath, and has anxiety issues, and therefore is not sleeping well. She slept 1 1/2 hrs last night, not at all the night before. The doc who we are meeting with tomorrow, wants to do a angiogram, but is worried about her nervousness/anxiety. I could really use some reassurance and advice from anyone, especially if you or someone you know has had this much damage. Also anyone who has had similar symptoms etc. I'd appreciate any advice/ suggetions / words of comfort. The waiting game is the worst part! Also, does anyone know of any good websites i should be checking? I've researched a few, but could benefit from your expertise.

Thank you!

Lisa
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-03-2003 - 11:32pm
Hi, Lisa....and welcome to the board!

Since your mother's heart attack is SO recent, it's understandable that she'd be anxious and afraid! Obviously, these issues must be dealt with.....and I think you might ask the cardiologist to recommend a therapist to help your mother deal with these issues. Not sleeping is NOT helping her, and being afraid and anxious isn't either! Perhaps her doctors may want to place her on some mild anti-anxiety med short-term....ask her doctors! I myself had a heart attack at the age of 36....back in those days (!), the doctors simply sent you home to complete your recovery after you'd been discharged from the cardiac unit! Fortunately, medicine has come a long way now....your mother can get much-needed councelling regarding her anxieties and fears (I wish that option had been available after my heart attack!), and she really DOES need to deal with these fears! That being said, it's very common for ANY heart attack victim to become anxious and fearful after their heart attack....a heart attack is one scary thing to go through, and that fear remains well after the heart problems have been taken care of in the hospital! Ask your mothers cardiologist to recommend a therapist for her - one who deals solely with heart attack survivors! The cardiologist and therapist should be working very closely together to get your mother in not only good enough physical condition for the angiogram, but also to get her in a better state of mind! Let us know what her doctors have to say, okay? Sending prayers and positive thoughts your mother's way....and hang in there, Hon....and keep asking questions of your mothers doctors and try to get her some emotional help for the fear and anxiety too! Keep us posted!

Welcoming (((hugs))),

Linda.