Pity Party

iVillage Member
Pity Party
Wed, 09-24-2003 - 8:03am
Hi there. Well, I've been living with my (diagnosed) heart disease for about half a year now. Most of the time I'm OK with it, but sometimes I just get really crabby still about the eating restrictions. This will be my first fall/early winter holiday season, and I suddenly got very cranky looking through all my recipes and realizing how many of them I "shouldn't" have anymore.

I do realize that there are hundreds of millions of people out there with more serious problems than not being able to feast on their favorite beef dish & leftovers for a holiday weekend. And I do know how fortunate I am that the blockage I had didn't kill me. But sorry, right now I just need to whine to someone who will understand!

iVillage Member
In reply to: islanddreams
Wed, 09-24-2003 - 9:20am
Hi, Hon!

Yep, I know what you mean about all the holiday goodies you aren't "supposed" to have...but, you know, you CAN have a few goodies ONCE IN A WHILE, without it doing too much in the way of reversing all the good you've done for yourself! Feeling deprived over the holidays isn't good for your EMOTIONAL health!!!! So, have a tiny bit of some of the goodies you really love, but hop right back on your diet right afterwards! Ask your doctor! I'm sure he'll tell you the same thing! Check with him first.....and see what he has to say, okay? I'm betting that he'll tell you NOT to deprive yourself, but not to go over-board either! Let me know, okay? And, yes, Hon.....we DO understand here about all those "restrictions" we all have after any cardiac problems....and those restrictions can be a pain in the buttocks, and also not good emotionally for us! That's why most docs will tell you that an occasional "lapse" in our respective diets isn't going to be too bad for us PHYSICALLY, and can really help boost our emotions! My cardio has told me that more than once.....and he's been right!

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-24-2003 - 7:51pm
Well, unfortunately for me, cooking my favorites for the holidays and then feasting on the leftovers for several days after probably won't count as an acceptable "small" indulgence! I'm just feeling very whiney about the whole thing right now. I hope it will pass soon. I'm also going for another round of tests next week, so I'm a bit anxious about that. Thanks for listening!

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-01-2003 - 10:32am
There's nothing wrong w/a little pity party now and then. It's tough going through the first year after being diagnosed w/a serious illness. You're faced w/new obstacles and wishing things could be 'normal' again. Allow yourself time to process all the emotions - good and bad - you'll be healthier for it in the long run.

Have you considered looking for more heart healthy versions of your favorite holiday recipes? Check these websites for more information...

About.com

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/

Food Network

http://www.foodtv.com

HeartCenter Online

http://www.heartcenteronline.com/myheartdr/home/index.cfm?curpage=home

Invite a friend over and spend an evening cooking a couple recipes. Or if you have a friend who regularly cooks heart healthy or low fat recipes - ask her/him for a few pointers.

I agree w/Linda, too. Everything in moderation. You can still have the full-fat, full-salt, full-sugar goodies, just don't overdo it.

Keep your chin up and keep us posted.

Hugs,

Jeanie

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-03-2003 - 12:29pm
I am new here and I just recently had multiple heart attacks in July. I know the frustration because I am going through it right now. I attend rehab 3 days a week and I changed my eating habits and I quit smoking, but I feel like I'm not living my life. I feel like I have so many limitations. How do I handle this matter. I have a beautiful 13 yr old daughter at home and I have her eating like me now. Please give me some clues.

Judy

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-03-2003 - 12:45pm

Hi, Judy.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-03-2003 - 2:19pm
Hi, Judy......and welcome to the board!

You know, getting used to all the "restrictions" after a heart attack (or "multiple heart attacks"! Wow! How many did you have?) IS tough to do! But giving up smoking (THAT'S hard in itself!) and starting to eat properly is going to be a great thing for BOTH you and your daughter! You're actually teaching her the RIGHT way to eat, since she's now on the same heart-healthy diet YOU'RE on! No, it's not easy! And I can tell you that I did my share of "cheating" on the cardiac diet the docs put me on after my heart attack! But once you get into the habit of doing all the GOOD things your body needs right now, you WILL adjust to those things.....and it DOES get easier! On special occasions, I WILL cheat on the diet a bit.....but only a little bit and only very occasionally! That way, I don't feel as if I'm "giving up" everything, you know? Since your heart attacks are recent, though, it's probably smart to stay on the restricted diet and do all the cardiac rehab.....when you're finished with all the cardiac rehab, ask your cardiologist about exactly WHICH things you can OCCASIONALLY "cheat" on! Trust me, he'll understand, and will give you some good recommendations about what you can do! In the meantime, hang in there, Judy! You can do it! It isn't easy, but pretty soon all your "old" habits will go away, and the "new" heart-healthy habits will take over! THEN it DOES get easier! Good luck, Hon.....keep posting and letting us know how you're doing, okay?

Welcoming (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-03-2003 - 5:07pm
Hi :)

There are some good low fat recipes in iVillage's Food area. And they have an easy to use recipe finder. Here's a link to the area:

http://www.ivillage.com/food