Chest pains, wont stop....help

iVillage Member
Chest pains, wont stop....help
Sun, 10-05-2003 - 8:01am
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-05-2003 - 10:18am
Hi, Marley!

Good to see you again, Hon...but sorry about all the chest pains and BP problems! Did your doc say this was an inflammation in your chest wall/muscles? Did he call what you have costochondritis or pleurisy? If it's either one of those, I've had both...and they're VERY painful! AND exhausting! You're doing all the right things....taking the meds, seeing your cardiologist regularly, and doing all the follow-up testing. BUT...you need to stay in VERY close contact with your cardiologist about ANY new symproms you might have....including the overwhelming fatigue! The EKG and bloodwork you had done were most likely to see if you'd had a heart attack.....and since both tests were normal, it appears that you hadn't had a heart attack at that point....and that's a good thing!

But since the pain is worse this weekend, you need to call your doc ASAP and let him know that the pain and tiredness are worse!!! Call him today....at least let him know what's going on....he may want to see you today or first thing tomorrow, instead of waiting till Tuesday!

Let us know what happens, okay, Hon?

Welcoming (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-06-2003 - 12:10pm

Hi Linda! Its great to see you again too! How are YOU doing? Its been a while!

Anyhow, yes, he did talk about costochondritis. Thats what the anti-imflammatory is apparently for. The pain kind of fluctuates. Today its like there is something stuck in my chest. My heart is racing a bit. The good news is... my BP seems to be stabalizing. Staying between 120-140/80-90. Which is WAY better than it was!

I've been doing a little reading this morning.... mostly because my Mom is freaking and wants me to call the doctor back. I'm wondering if it might be angina. No one mentioned that to me at all. The pain does seem to get a little worse when I'm doing something and there is a definite "loss of breath"... not to the point where I'm gasping... but definitely feeling "air deprived". mildly.

Today the pain feels like its going right through me. To my back that is. I have a pain in my back in the same place as it is in the front. Does this mean anything to

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-06-2003 - 5:03pm
Hey, Marley!

I'm doing fine, Hon....thanks!

Is your primary care doc handling your BP problems....or did I get the wrong impression? You HAVEN'T seen a cardiologist yet...is that right? Trust me, a cardio won't bite, Hon! If you need to see one, go for it! I have a very NICE cardio who I see! ;0)

Call your doc today...now...it may very well be the costochondritis, or even possibly pleurisy.....but you need to find out! Since your BP is doing better, I think I'd let the doc know BEFORE your Holter monitor test, that you're having problems with pain and shortness of breath.......your doc may very well want to take another look at you, you know? Call your doctor, Hon....okay? Let me know what he says!

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-06-2003 - 9:39pm

No, I havent seen a cardiologist. My doc is convinced there is NOTHING wrong with my heart! I saw him today....he was a total JERK! He made me feel like a total hypochondriac (sp?) I was so ticked off I could hardly breathe by the time I left there.

Let me tell ya what happened. Keep in mind here...this is not my GP I'm seeing but his "office buddy" who is filling in for my GP. He was the same one I saw last Wed when all this started. This all started last Wed.... the high BP, racing heart & chest pain. That was when he examined me and said (without any tests) that this is a clear case of costochondritis. Based on the one fact that I have a VERY tender spot (to poke at) jsut to the right of my heart... at the edge of the ribcage. He said that my BP was too high to start anti-imflammatories, so he gave me 25mg of novospirotin to take and said to come back & see him again on Friday. If by Friday the BP was down, he would start the anti-inflam's. He booked me for a holter monitor (for tomorrow actually)

So.... Thurs night the pain got so bad, and my BP shot up to 180/107.... I went to the ER. At the ER, they did bloodwork and an ECG. Both were normal and because I was "immobile" there for 3 hours, my BP went down to normal levels. I told them that I was booked for a holter, so they said that this seemed reasonable, they gave me an aspirin.....and said to check in with my family doc in the morning.

Friday morning I went to the doc. BP was pretty good. About 160/90. He again repeated that it must be costochondritis. Gave me a script for Vioxx (anti-inflam) along with 1mg Ativan

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-07-2003 - 1:01am
GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

You KNOW how angry at get at the docs who are idiots....this guy sounds like a prime example for the title of Dr. Butthead! When's your regular GP going to be back? Well, at least he DID the tests (when are you going to get the results back?), and at least you're going to have the Holter monitor tomorrow (any idea when he'll get the results of that?). You know, Mar....it COULD be the costochondritis.....OR pleurisy...OR a gazillion other things.....and for him to "dismiss" you the way he did just wasn't right! This guy actually thinks that your PAIN will be totally eliminated by taking Ativan????? Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!! Definitely need a growly icon around here! Have you started on the Vioxx? Is it helping? If the pain IS being caused by inflammation, then once the Vioxx starts decreasing the inflammation, the pain will lessen....otherwise (if you've been on the Vioxx and the pain isn't going away at all) it may not be simple inflammation!!!! You're doing all the right things, Hon! Just keep tabs on what's going on! You might want to start writing down your BP readings each day, how bad the pain is (use the scale of 1 to 10), when the pain is worse and when it's better....and try to describe the pain as clearly as you can - and any other symptoms you might have! If this doc doesn't believe you, and you need to see another doc, all that information is going to be invaluable! Write it all down! Let me know what happens, okay.....something tells me you're not going to have any problems "making" the palpitations show up on the Holter......I think I'd be kind of surprized if they DIDN'T show up! Let me know, Hon, okay?

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-07-2003 - 5:41pm

I know how you feel... I could use a GIANT size GRRRR icon right now! Talk about frustration. Thank Goodness I'm not dealing with cancer, or something more serious! And may God Bless those that are, thats all I can say!

I've got the holter monitor on now. I've only had one real bad palp today... but for a while at work there my heart was racing and beating hard. They want me to note when/what I'm doing if/when it happens over the next 24 hours.

I hate this kinda stuff... WAITING for IT to happen. Then if it doesnt, they'll really take me for a fool. Oh well...I'll play it by ear and see how it goes tonight. Tomorrow at work should be interesting. I start at 10:15! Its crazy at times at work.

As for my own doc... the thing IS, they both work in the SAME office. And my doc isnt likely to disagree with this idiot. Not when they're in practice together. When all this is said and done, if nothing shows, and things are still acting up, I WILL see another doc.

I've been taking the vioxx now since Friday, and although the pain has let up a little... I also took an ativan last night at bedtime. I was so wired from the ativan, that I fell right to sleep. So, I dont really know what it did for the actual PAIN, but it sure made me dizzy and drowsy... and that, I KNOW is not the answer! I was still woosy this morning!

The JERK says that it could take MONTHS for the inflammation to come down. If this is so, and this goes on for months... I'll be a basket case by the time its over! Sigh... what can I do... nothing I guess. Sit and wait now.

Chest Xray will be done tomorrow and the thoracic ultrasound will be done Oct 17th. I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks for your help and guidance! Hope all is well with you. Love Marley

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-07-2003 - 7:28pm
Hiya, Mar!

Well.........!!!!!!! Definitely take the Vioxx if you feel it's helping with the pain and inflammation....but you might want to re-think taking more Ativan if it knocks you out that badly (and makes you feel woozy the next day too!). Tell that doc that you're having a hard time with the Ativan...that it's knocking you for a loop....and that you're still feeling the "after-effects" the next day! Do all the tests, get the results, and see a cardiologist if you feel that your regular GP will NOT take you any more seriously than the doc-partner. You know, sometimes a second opinion IS needed....and if there's any sign of the palpitations on the Holter (when you get the results), seeing a cardiologist is probably a really good "next step", you know? Keep me posted, Hon! Hang in there!!!!

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-07-2003 - 10:00pm
Will do Linda. Thanks once again for all the help! Love marley
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-07-2003 - 10:22pm
Hey, Marley!!!!!

I JUST noticed your cl- hat! HUGE congrats, Hon!!!!! Which board(s) or chats do you do? Good for you! I always told you that you had SO much to offer people!!!!! Glad you're a cl-, Hon!!!!!!

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-08-2003 - 9:07am

Hi Linda...

Ya... I'm a CL too. Not just another pretty face ya know! LOL

Seriously though... I'm a CL on the Breast Reduction Board. I've been there since Jan 2000. Its a great support board for those considering or actually going through Breast Reduction. Its a subject very near and dear to my heart and I love it there.

Actually I love it here at IVillage... its a super community.

Gotta go to work today... at 10, so I'll check in later. I'm gonna try and get that chest xray done today while I'm at the hospital getting this monitor off. (Only had a couple mild palps last night... but I wrote them down nonetheless... go figure.) All I can say is this BETTER show up.... 'cause I know I'm not imagining all this!

Have a wonderful day, we'll chat soon! Love Marley