WHAT is going on? BP is 199/108! m..

iVillage Member
WHAT is going on? BP is 199/108! m..
Wed, 10-08-2003 - 1:30pm

Wholly cow, this is freaking me out people!

I just left work with a BP of 199/108. It was a steady morning but not extremely stressful. I started to feel a little tightness in my chest and full of sweat. A little short of breath. So I took a break and decided to check my BP (on my home monitor that I carried to work with me)... low and behold... 199/108... pulse was 100!

I told them at work I was leaving immediately and had someone take me home.

I my BP is back down to 138/84... but I'm still feeling a bit weak. What the heck is happening here!

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-08-2003 - 4:26pm

Marley,

Goodness.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-08-2003 - 6:39pm

I feel like no one is listening Jeanie. I called my PCP on Monday, they said that he was fully booked all this week cause he was away last week, but said that I could see his office buddy (the doc that works with him)... He wasnt much help... and after seeing him 3 times in the last week.. he's given me the impression that he thinks this is all in my head and its no more than a simple case of costochonritis.

Even though he ordered the holter (which I did today) and an xray (had it today too) as well as an thoracic ultrasound, I refuse to go back to HIM. I tried calling the office today when all this was going on, but they were closed at lunchtime... for the entire day! Sigh. This healthcare system is enough to MAKE one sick!

You see, I am new to this city... so these doc's dont have any history with me.. I thought about calling my "old doc" who Ive been seeing for 15 years. But then there's the problem of the tests going to this doc... my "old doc" will want to see them too... and how do I get around that! Sigh. If only someone actually cared! This is rediculous!

Anyhow,..... thanks for your well wishes Jeanie... hopefully I'll get this all worked out soon! Take care, love Marley

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-09-2003 - 8:16am
Hey, Marley!

Get yourself to the doctors office....and if he can't see you, go to the ER (a DIFFERENT ER than the one you went to before!)! Bring ALL the med bottles from ALL the meds this doctor has given you! Evidently, your BP meds aren't working as well as that doctor seemed to think they were working....you need answers, and you deserve answers! Try to make an appointment with a GOOD cardiologist......I think this will be the only way you're going to get the right treatment and the answers you need, Hon! See a doc NOW for what happened yesterday (that BP was pretty high! I'm glad it came down so fast!)....and then see a good cardiologist for any further treatments you might need, okay? And it might be worthwhile to look for another PCP....these two docs don't seem very interested and it doesn't seem as if they're listening all that closely to what you're telling them!....AND, any doctor who is "too busy" to see one of his own patients on an emergency basis needs to either lessen the number of people in his practice - as he's obviously WAY over-booked - or he needs to hire another doctor or two to join him in his practice so that ALL his patients get the proper treatment! Let me know, Hon!

Love and gentle (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-09-2003 - 10:13am

Hi Linda...

I am still struggling with what to do today. I stayed home from work today even though I cant actually say that I have a doctor who is supporting me here.

I have been debating calling my "old doc" who is an hour away, but knows me VERY well and knows my history. But then again, I'm thinking that because these new docs were the ones who actually ordered the tests, then maybe I should at least wait for some results first. It would be rediculous to do the tests over again. What do you think?

You think I should go TODAY?... even though things seemed to have settled down a bit? One thing is for sure I am NOT going back to

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-09-2003 - 1:49pm
Hi, Marley!

Your old doctor (the one you trust) CAN get the test results by calling your new GP's office and asking for those results from that GP! If your new GP is "too busy" to talk with HIS patient, it's time for another GP! AND you need to get a second opinion too! Yep, call the new GP's office....don't take no for an answer.....tell his secretary that you INSIST on talking with (or even better, seeing) that GP today....tell him what happened.....let him know how displeased you are at the care you're getting, and tell him you're considering going back to your old GP who did NOT ignor you! Ask for a cardiologist referral too. If the new GP refuses to call you back, ask for that second GP....if HE'S too busy, you'll know where you stand in "order of priority" for these two docs....and if it was me, I'd be high-tailing it to my old GP's now! Let me know what you're going to do, okay, Hon? I get SO angry with doctors who put themselves above their patients during working hours....you (and your insurance company!) are PAYING this doctor to do a job....apparently, he isn't doing that job....if you have to, FIRE HIM! Go back to the old GP, even if he IS an hour away! An hour is a short amount of time compared with the added stress and aggrevation and time you're spending putting up with dealing with the two docs you have now! Good luck, Hon! Let me know!

Love and (((hugs))),

Linda.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-09-2003 - 2:16pm

Hi Linda..

Oh... I already know where I stand as a patient with these two ding-a-lings!

I called the new GP's office

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-10-2003 - 9:56am

I couldn't agree w/you more.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-10-2003 - 9:50pm

No one really referred me