Anyone with WPW?

iVillage Member
Anyone with WPW?
Fri, 10-10-2003 - 4:10pm
Hi, first time on this board. I was diagnoised in August of '00 with WPW (Wolfee-Parkinson-White Syndom) in case no one here has never of heard of it, everyone has electical pathways running thru your heart (it's what makes the heart beat) with people with my problem, you have extra pathways, and as your heart is beating along, it will hit one of these extra pathways & short circuit and will restart the beat. So your heart will either beat way to slow or way to fast (mine has hit over 150 beats a minute--you should feel in from my side of the chest) And your cardiologist is one of the electrictions types.

In June of '01, I had the catheterization surgery done, the Dr found I have it in a very usual place deep in my heart & I have 3 extra pathways, and they had to use a lazer on me hitting me 15 times. Instead of a simple 3 hour surgery I was under for 5 1/2 hours and it didn't work. I've been on Propafenone for 2 years, now I've started breaking thru on the meds, in the past month I've had two episodes again. I just came back from seeing the Dr on my yearly appointment, now I have to go back in 6 months to see him again. It appears to be getting worse, and I will be having to have the catheterization surgery again--the FDA just approved a newer & hotter larger lazer for this procdure. I can't afford to take time off work until next summer as I'm a school bus driver. My route stops in mid-May so after that I could have it done.

Sam

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-04-2003 - 9:26pm
i know it may be out of your price range right now, but check out the Cleveland Clinic, see what their billing/insurance situation is like as they are the absolute pioneers and best when it comes to the procedure you had. www.clevelandclinic.org.