Mitral valve involvement

iVillage Member
Mitral valve involvement
Sat, 11-08-2003 - 11:27pm
This is a long shot, but maybe someone here knows something about this or can point me to where I can find info.

I'm 23 years old with no known family history of heart problems (though I don't know anything about my father's side). During my second pregnancy I developed pregnancy-induced tachycardia at 7 weeks, put on heart meds at 10 weeks, then later developed PIH and put on strict bedrest at 26 weeks for the duration. The thing that worries me is that the echocardiogram I had at 20 weeks showed I had some mitral valve regurgitation, but my cardiologist, family doc, and OB said it would probably go away after I delivered along with the tachy and PIH. They did stay away for awhile after I delivered and I stopped the meds (my son is 16 months old), but lately the tachycardia has been happening more and more frequently. One day I ran a 100 degree temp and the resulting tachy kept me from going to work. Now I'm wondering if the MVR is still there and the tachy is a symptom of it.

Should I investigate this further or am I off my rocker? The main reason I'm asking is because I'm going to need dental work in the near future and I want to get another tattoo and piercing in the next six months. I don't want to do any of that if there is possibly something up with my mitral valve.

Thanks!

Brook

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-12-2003 - 1:01pm

Brook,

Hi there!

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-14-2003 - 12:06am
If I were you, I would contact my doctor and have them at least do an Echocardiogram. I have mitral valve prolapse, with no regurgitation, and I still have to take antibiotics before and after dental work, just as a precaution. If you definitely had regurgitation during your pregnancy, you have good reason to be concerned now.

If you don't have insurance to cover the tests, you should at the very least inform your family doctor of your concerns and he will probably prescribe you preventative antibiotics for the dentist (and I guess for the tattoo, too). It won't hurt anything to take the antibiotics, but it could certainly save your life!

Teri
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-21-2003 - 10:38pm
Thanks for your replies. I guess I have no real reason to suspect MVP except for the regurge and the tachy. To my knowledge I never had regurge before, but I had never had an echo before either. If I had the tachy without having had the regurge I probably wouldn't think twice about it. Right now I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. A month ago I was diagnosed with asthma and we haven't been able to get it under control yet. Prednisone and albuterol have become my friends but have been upsetting my heart and making me miserable. Once the asthma gets under control I'll definitely speak to my family doc about a referral to the cardiologist again for another echo to see if the regurge is still there and continue on from that point.

Brook

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-04-2004 - 1:52pm

Hi, Hope that you are feeling better.I really don't think you should put off seeing your cardio,if you are still having tachy and are on alburtol which does cause a rise in heart rate ,and having problems with your lungs ,I would seek out more professional help.

I have rheumatic mitral valve disease and regurg. with congestive heart failure,with tachy.and copd,so find the time ,having children does put a strain on your heart and

what could it hurt to go on and have it done.Just stay safe and Happy.