Seizures after a stroke

iVillage Member
Seizures after a stroke
Sat, 11-22-2003 - 12:26am
I am 40yrs old. I had a mild stroke at the end of May 2003. The stroke was due to a clot forming on my mechanical heart valve. Recovery has been a long road for me..day by day. I returned to work in the beginning of August, not really ready but wanted to prove to myself that I had not lost any medical capacity. In July I started feeling very confused and as if I was in "Outer Space". Like a spectator in my own life, watching my life go by from the outside. I woulf be places and totally forget where I was or why I was there..its a very scarey feeling. I was beggining to think I was going crazy. My cardiologist suggested I go see the neurologist, after some brain tests she diagnoised me as having small mild seizures due to the stroke. She has me in anti seizure medication, Lamictal which has done me a world of good. I finally feel like " MYSELF' after months of confusion. Anyone ever hear of this?

Hope

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-26-2003 - 12:28am
Bumping for some feedback.

Hope

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-26-2003 - 11:35am

Hope,

I personally have never heard of this, but apparently you've experienced it.

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-28-2003 - 12:35am
The Neurologist put me on Anti Seizure Medication...which has been a life saver. It has lifted the CLOUDINESS from my head. I also feel like "MYSELF" again after weeks of feeling like I was in a Fog and Losing my mind. I am on Lamictal, I take 50mg twice a day. The Dr said I will be on it for the rest of my life.

Its been a long slow recovery from a stroke at my age. I just turned 40 a month ago. I didn't expect the mental healing to be so difficult. The professionals dont tell you when you leave the hospital.

Hope