Second Heart valve surgery

iVillage Member
Second Heart valve surgery
Mon, 11-24-2003 - 6:44pm
I recently had my 2nd heart valve surgery and the 2nd one seems to be harder to recover from. I use to have the pig skin valve & this time I got the mechanical valve, so I won't have to have another surgery.

Recovering from this 2nd surgery is much harder & I have had more problems. I recently had an ablation performed. I was feeling pretty good after the procedure, but today I had a bad day. My heart started beating really crazy & I got scared because my heart beating rapidly & lose of breath was why I had to have the ablation. All day today I've been walking around really slow, trying not to have my heart start beating fast. I was thinking about what could have caused my heart to start beating fast. I remember I was upset with my 4 year old son this morning, so I was stressed out. but other than that nothing else was out of the ordinary.

I feel like this is going to be a long recovery. I know it takes a year for the heart to totally heal after surgery, but it seems like I just keep having set backs. I know that God is healing my heart and I know I'll be back to normal. But walking around my office I keep thinking that something is going to happen that will send me back to the hospital.

Is there a reason the second surgery is so much harder to recover from than the first? This is starting to make me feel depress & wishing maybe I shouldn't have had the surgery. I know it's crazy talk because I'm not ready to die, but this recovery has me so scared.

Is this normal? Has anyone ever experienced what I'm going through?

I need some advice, encouragement or words of wisdom.

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-16-2003 - 1:49pm
Probably each recovery is different. My Mom just had her 3rd valve replacement (porcine, mech, mech)done 2 weeks ago & is amazed at how well she's doing this time. However, she is quite tired and will have to build back her tolerance for activity. She has the luxury, at 67yo, of taking it easy. I imagine with a 4yo that you're finding that a bit difficult? Mine are 9, 7 & 5 - taking it easy, even with frequent angina, is sometimes impossible.

Once you've discussed your worries with your Dr, try to distract yourself so that you're not worrying - it's a vicious circle.

Good luck & I hope the month since you posted has included some positive recovery.