scary episode yesterday

iVillage Member
scary episode yesterday
Wed, 12-17-2003 - 10:17am
I am new to this board, but have some questions. Yesterday I felt "not quite right". I was sitting, looking at mail and I got a pain going down my left arm with numbness in my hand. I attributed it to some shoulder pain I woke up with. Just a couple of minutes later, a tingling sensation came over my face and i felt like I was going to pass out. I went to sit by my husband cuz I did not want to pass out all by myself in the kitchen. I must have looked bad b/c he asked me what was wrong. I said I wasn't sure but my arm hurt and I think I'm going to pass out. He called 911 and they checked me out. My b/p was normal but very faint and the monitor showed be to be in a sinus arrythmia. After a while they had me stand up to see how I felt. After standing for a couple of minutes the tingling in my face returned and I thought I was going to puke. I was not nauseated but just had that feeling in my chest. The hospital my Dr is at was full and the paramedics did not seem to think anything was really wrong, they said maybe I was coming down with the flu. So I declined transport and called my Dr. He has ordered a 24 hr holter monitor because the arrythmia is something that wasn't there before. And told me if it happens again to go the ER. I think if I had just felt like passing out but did not have the arm pain I wouldn't be so worried. I would appreciate any comments or advice about this . Thanks in advance for you help--- Kim
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-21-2003 - 12:43pm
I can't comment at all about your specific situation; but in general, if you are not comfortable with the answers you're getting from your healthcare professionals or the treatment you're getting from your doctor, I'd suggest seeking a second opinion. Can you get a referral to a cardiologist? If the doctor you're talking about is a cardiologist, perhaps you want to see a second one?

I wasn't feeling very comfortable with a cardiologist I was seeing -- he's not necessarily a bad doctor, but I just didn't think he knew what to do with me (woman in my 40s with no obvious risk factors). I told my physician about this, he referred me to a second cardiologist who is fabulous. It makes all the difference when you feel confident in your healthcare providers.

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-21-2003 - 8:59pm
Thanks for your input. I/m going tomorrrow to discuss the results from an echo I had on Friday and a 24 hr holter monitor. He's not a cardiologist, so I'll see what he says. I'm glad you found someone you're comfortable with.
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-22-2003 - 1:39pm
I would for sure see a cardiologist. I had a heart attack at age 38, and I had no risk factors except controlled high blood pressure. I had no family history of heart problems, exercised, ate very healthy, had given up cigarettes (1/2 pack a day) 2 & 1/2 years before, and my LDLs and HDLs were excellent, but I had one clogged artery. I did not have many of the symptoms, just a burning sensation in my chest after I ran for a train. Then the numbness/aching in my left arm, and pain in my neck and head. I did NOT have the crushing pain in the chest, no sweating, no dizziness or nausea.

It is distressing because doctors and other medical personnel do not "expect" woman to come in with heart attacks, esp if there are no or few risk factors. My ER staff did the right thing by admitting me, my family doc referred me to a cardiologist, who ordered the "clot-busting" drugs and did a heart cath to me, which also is not commenly done for woman. Many doctors will tell women that it's something besides a heart attack, when it is a heart-attack. They need to measure your cardiac enzymes while you were feeling this pain and after-they continue to rise after a heart attack. Heart attacks are no as uncommen in woman as they once thought. Please go to the ER if this happens again to you.

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-22-2003 - 11:58pm
Thank you for your warning. I believe I am sufficiently scared enough to do that now. I saw my regular Dr today to discuss some test results. He only had the echo back, not the 24 hr holter yet. Th echo showed some mild regurgitation in the mitral and tricuspid valves. Then it showed "diastolic noncompliance of the left ventricle" My Dr had no idea what that meant and said he would call when he got the holter report. I told him that I had another episode this morning and thought I was going to pass out in the Wal-mart. I also told him that I have a senation in my chest, not quite burning, but like when you breathe really cold air. He sent me home to wait for the other results. I have been trying to research online and everything I get that has to do with diastolic noncompliance of the left ventricle points to heart failure. I am 34, have 4 kids, just went back to college amd have had a crappy week besides my own health. We've had two great aunts die in the last two days. If I don't have aheart attack tonight I will be calling a cardiologist tomorrow.
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-30-2003 - 1:57pm

Hi there and welcome!

Please accept my condolences on the deaths of your great aunts.