Weird new sensation - help!

iVillage Member
Weird new sensation - help!
Mon, 12-22-2003 - 2:01pm
Hi, I am new and a little scared. I have been experiencing a weird thing the last week or so. Occasionally, when I start to drift off to sleep, I have a strange sensation. The closest I can come to explaining it is this - When you get to the top of a roller coaster, and for a split second everything stops, then the car goes down the hill. It feels like a quick wave over me, and for a split second its almost like my heart stopped or skipped or something.

To compound this, I also have panic attacks that simulate some symptoms of heart attacks. But this new feeling comes along when I am very relaxed, on the verge of sleep. I am not in a pre-panic state or anything. I am on Paxil for the attacks, which is very helpful. My attacks are almost always triggered at night - my sinuses drain, I can't breathe and I wake up with a rapid heartbeat and feeling of passing out.

Anyways, does this sound like anything I should be concerned about?

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-30-2003 - 2:01pm

Hello and welcome!

Have you discussed these symptoms w/your family doctor

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-14-2004 - 12:42am
I get that! What is it?

Lucky

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-04-2004 - 6:50pm
Hi there, I get that same thing too, but I think I've only had it twice. I've had my heart looked at and they said there's nothing wrong, but I do have sinus tachycardia(increased heart rate). I would just mention it to your doctor. It never hurts to get a professional opinion. Keep us posted though, I know how starnge it feels.

Take care

Leah
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-10-2004 - 9:16pm

Have either of you considered getting a second or third opinion?