tired alot

iVillage Member
tired alot
Thu, 01-01-2004 - 7:24pm
Hi all -

My dh, who is only 45 years old (but a heavy smoker) had a heart attack about three weeks ago. Doctors found a 95% blockage of one artery. He had angioplasty and a stent put in. My husband still gets very tired easily. He is in bed by 7:00, 8:00 every night. He went back to work on Monday and almost didn't make it through the day. Thankfully it's a short week and he didn't have to work past Wednesday. But he gets tired whether he works or not. Today is Jan. 1st (holiday) and he has been tired all day.

My question to all of you who have been through this - how long before he is back to normal (if ever?) Any words of advise?

Thanks -

Julie

iVillage Member
In reply to: julie_44107
Fri, 01-02-2004 - 1:37pm

Julie,

Hi there and welcome.

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-04-2004 - 8:50am
I had angioplasty for a major blockage, did not have a heart attack, and I was tired for several months afterwards. REALLY tired. I worked part-time for several weeks after returning to work before I was ready for full-time again.

The medications he is on may be contributing to this. He should talk to his doctor and find out if this is a normal part of the recovery, or perhaps it is a medication thing and some kind of adjustment would help.

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-05-2004 - 12:13pm
Hi -

Thanks to both of you that have replied so far. You were lots of help. To answer some of your questions,Jim is on Plavix, Imdure (sorry about that spelling, I'm sure it's wrong) and a baby aspirin a day. He also has to carry around Nitro Glycerin "just in case." And yes, Jim is now on the typical heart diet - low sodium, low cholesterol, etc. He has a doctor's appointment with a new doctor in a couple of weeks and we'll ask him at that appointment about what should and shouldn't be happening. He's changing doctors because his first doctor seems to be one of those doctor's that over-books his appointments and is too busy for his patients. When Jim went in for his first follow-up, the doctor rushed in and rushed out and didn't take time to talk to Jim at all. Jim came out of the appointment with as many questions as he had going in. Jim is an electricians and does alot of heavy work outside in the cold (it's 20 degrees out today here in Cleveland, Ohio). I expressed concern about his returning to work so soon (it was only two weeks since his heart attack) but his nurses (I spoke to two of them - not the doctor himself) said it is safe. Since I couldn't talk to the doctor direct about Jim working outside, Jim has promised me that if he feels any pain or shortness of breath, etc. he will stop working immediately.

Again - thanks to both of you for your information. We really don't know anything about heart disease so talking to you helps.

Julie