Sinus Tachycardia??????

iVillage Member
Sinus Tachycardia??????
Sun, 02-01-2004 - 6:43pm
Hi I started having panic attacks last year in August and I was really worried about my heart, because even when I wasn't panicking my heart would flutter and then race, so we did a 30 day ECG and I've also had a 24 hour ECG and an ultrasound of my heart. My doc did all of that to ease my mind and not because she thought anything was wrong with my heart. All tests came back normal. Excpt she said I have a slight sinus tachycardia. My heart never skips a beat or anything. It never usually goes over 120 or 130 either, unless I'm working out. My question is, is it possible she just labeled it as that to ease my mind and to explain, when really I'm just anxious and I have panic and anxiety in my physical system as well as my mental.
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-04-2004 - 2:19pm

Hi Honey,

I'am sorry to hear of your panic & anxity attacks,I have them also, and they are no fun,I must relate to my middle daughter,she has as you have described the same symtoms,she herself did the same test as you and like you got, the same answer.Her doc did tell her to lay off the caffine though,although I agree it might help some ,they have said that some people suffer with tachy with no other health involvement.But to be on the safe side I would start taking a low dose if you can of asprin,And if you still feel like this problem is not normal for your body,cause you and only you know how your body is suppose to feel nag nag,nag,nag to your doc.My daughter still isn't satisfide either.
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-04-2004 - 6:42pm
Hi there, thank you for responding. What does your daughter do about hers. I usually cant continue doing chores around the house because it feeld like my heart will leap out of my chest. Does she lay down, or take a beta-blocker or calcium channel blocker? Also, how old is she? I'm 23. I've read and the cariologist told me that it usually happens in women in their 20's and early 30's. I've also read that it's reasonable to assume that it will eventually go away seeing as no older people really have it.

One more question for you.....How did it all start for your daughter?

Thanks in advance

Leah

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-20-2004 - 8:04am
Hi

As someome who knows about panic attacks,I went through the same thing as you did..I thought for sure there was something wrong with my heart but all tests proved normal..sometimes with people who have anxiety,the least little provocation can cause our hearts to start beating fast..you may not even be aware that it is...

Have anxiety attacks also means we are more aware of whats going on in our bodies and that we tend to dwell on certain symptoms...and by dwelling on them,we have the ability to actually make them worst!

If your tests came back normal and the dr doesnt feel a cause for concern..then you shouldnt either.....it was suggested yu take a low dose aspirin and thats great advice..

Seeking ways to handle your anxiety is also probably the best thing you can do for yourself...to try and release as much stress and tension as you can..through meditation etc.

Good luck