Who has Rheumatic Heart Disease

iVillage Member
Who has Rheumatic Heart Disease
Wed, 02-04-2004 - 2:08pm

Hi Ladies,

I'am a 47yr old with 5 children and 4 grandchildren.I was diagnoised with RHD and CHF,and COPD with my 5th child, who is 8yrs old.I would like to welcome any and all information and questions that any one has on this topic.I've been to alot of boards but not really many concern mainly on this subject.I just thought it would be nice to talk with people who have or had or think that they might have RHD.Hope to hear from you all soon.

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-10-2004 - 9:20pm

Hello there, shyangle.

What type(s) of treatment are you currently receiving?

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-16-2004 - 1:25pm

Right now I'am on medications, and I'am also disabled.RHD is caused by a strep throat infection,i can remember having a bad one when i was young but i did have medication for it.I get sick so easy now i'am on penicillin twice a day now for 2yrs until my little girl gets to about 10yrs of age because of the child hood illnesses

They say once you get this it damages your mitral valve,i guess after having 5 kids well it show up with my 2nd child as a murmur,then when i got caught with my last child i wasn't able to do anything,they really thought i would lose her but my cardio said i had an angle looking over us in delivery.To make a long story short she took at lot out on my heart,i've read many of the post here some sound so much like the symtoms i've had for many years before they found out what was wrong with me,i hope the ladies here really take the time and make there doc's understand what they are going thru,i went for over 20 yrs maybe if they had caught it earlier i would still be able to work.And the heart valve is also causing the congestive heart failure.my medications consist of beta-blocker,lasix,paxil,combavent inhaler,and the penicillin,and bextra.They say because of the antibotics they have now there is not much seen of RHD but I have it it's not much fun it would be nice to talk with those who can relate or share.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-23-2004 - 10:49pm
Hi Shyangle, I do have MVPS (Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome), but mine was not caused by rheumatoid illness, I was born with it. I also had a septal defect for which I needed open-heart surgery at the age of 20 months. I've had the associated MVPS symptoms almost my entire life - I was never able to keep up with the other kids in gym, headaches started when I was just 8, and everything else followed suit soon after puberty (dizziness/fainting spells, nervousness/anxiety, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, cold hands and feet, irregular and/or squishy heartbeat, shortness of breath, you name it).

Just the other day, I discovered another message board specifically for MVP:

http://www.mvpsupport.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi

It's not specifically for RHD exclusively, but I'm sure there are some folks there who have it. I've only been there a couple of days and it seems to be a pretty busy place.