Concerned

iVillage Member
Concerned
Mon, 02-09-2004 - 1:02pm
Hello I am new to this board. I have some questions about some things that I have been experiencing. I am a 27 yr. old female. Since about the age of 19 I have suffered from chest pain occasionally. The first time it happened I went straight to the emergency room and they found nothing after having me on an EKG machine. The next time it happened I was living in another state and so I had my hubby take me to the ER there. They also found nothing after doing an EKG and a chest xray. They said maybe I was under too much stress and that it could be anxiety. Over the next few years if and when it happened I just said it must be anxiety. When I was 22 I noticed that my heart would sometimes pound or I would have palpatations. It would feel like my heart was doing a flip flop. So of course I went back to the doctor and once again they found nothing. Then at 26 I went through numerous test because it started happening again. I would feel the palpatations, shaky, lightheaded/dizzy and chest pain. I had an EKG, Holter Moniter for 2 days, blood work, Ultra sound on my heart and a Cat Scan on my head. After all those tests they still found nothing. They only thing they noticed was that my blood pressure was elevated a little so I am taking a beta blocker. Do you think all of this could just be panic/anxiety disorder? Or should I see another doctor? I have seen 4 different doctors since this all started. The doctor I see now has been seeing me for about 2 years. Should I be asking for a different test? Any help would be great. OH one more thing........physical activity doesn't bring this on. It usually happens while I'm around the house or getting ready to go somewhere.........things like that. Thank you

Thank you

iVillage Member
In reply to: faith596
Tue, 02-10-2004 - 3:31pm
Did they give you blood tests during and after the episodes? Cardiac enzymes actually continue to go up after a heart "event", and to be on the safe side that would be a good back-up to the EKG.

It could just be that your electrolites are out of whack--maybe your potassium is low (dizzyness and palptations). I was on a diuretic for slightly high blood pressure and my potassium was very low when I had my heart "event". They can do a blood test for that, too.

Or it could be anxiety. Be sure that you do get some answers to this, you'll feel better once you know for sure.
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-10-2004 - 9:06pm

Faith,

Welcome to our board.

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-10-2004 - 10:45pm
Hello Jeanie.

I have discussed this with the doctors and they have all said that it may be linked to panic/anxiety disorder. Other than a stress test and a cath. I think I have every possible test done. I have had so much blood takin out of my body I tremble when I am told I have to have another blood test.

The reason I think this all may be anxiety is because they can't find anything wrong and it tends to happen when I am tired, nervous, scared, uncomfortable........you know all those unpleasent feelings. And I know that people with anxiety tend to worry that there is something worse wrong with them.

Anyway sorry to ramble................just looking for some advice and some comfort maybe. Should I trust the doctors or ask for more?
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-11-2004 - 8:48am
Hi,

A very cheap and simple test that my cardio recommened for chest pain is to take an OTC acid blocker for a month. If you get relief then you may have an ulcer or reflux.

HTH,

Lucky

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-16-2004 - 9:36pm

Hi faith596,

You have been through a lot trying to figure this out.

IVHealth Ruth Ann
Community Leader/Ask the Health Librarian