New here and why

iVillage Member
New here and why
Sat, 02-21-2004 - 1:51pm
Hello all! I was reading an article elsewhere on iVillage and thought I would share my story as to why I'm interested in heart health. I myself have a mitral valve prolapse and neurocardiogenic syncope. You could say that I'm probably overly paranoid by symptoms that I experience because of my family's history. My only sister died 5 years ago of a massive heart attack. She was only 27 and her condition was never even diagnosed. Dawn was the mother of three young daughters (Ages 6,4,and 18 months) when she died. In fact, her 6 year old is who found her dead. That tragedy has changed my entire life. I am now 30 and I have a son who is 6 yrs. old. Every night when I go to bed I pray that I will wake up the next morning to spend another day with him. Every morning, I pray that I live the whole day to be able to tuck him in at night one more time. Life is so very precious, but can be so short. My condition is not a serious, life threatening condition. I just always fear that my cardiologist has missed something. In all truth, I know I can trust his analysis but it's terrifying.

It has just been recently that the mitral valve prolapse has become significant. Do any of you have some information or experience with this that you could pass on to me? To ease my mind??? I would appreciate it.

Just wanted to share some of my story with you all. I look forward to being a support for some of you and hope we can help each other. Thank you so much!!! Heather